PDA

View Full Version : Mountain Music

Andrew Roberts
Jul-19-2010, 12:07pm
I've been meaning to post some pictures of my Silver Angel mandolin. Just got back from a trip to the mountains this week so I thought I would share some rather artsy pictures that my friend Hannah took. We had pretty fun jam sessions both nights as well, so if any of those pictures happen to make their way to me I will post them to this thread as well.

60758 60759

D C Blood
Jul-19-2010, 1:57pm
Andrew, Please send a few good ones of you playing the mando, so I can put them on the Myspace site. Hope to meet you around town one of these days.

bobbyburns
Jul-19-2010, 6:02pm
I think my wife may have spoken to you up there this weekend. She was hiking on Lookout Mountain, and stopped to watch some hang gliders. She called and asked me if I'd heard of Ken Ratcliff who builds mandolins, because there was a guy up there playing one. I'll bet that was you?

JEStanek
Jul-19-2010, 7:02pm
Nice photos.

Jamie

Andrew Roberts
Jul-19-2010, 7:31pm
Dave - I will send you some pictures as soon as I get a chance to find some good ones. In the meantime, feel free to use these.

Bobby - I did meet your wife this weekend! It didn't even occur to me that you would come across these photos on the Cafe. When I got home yesterday I checked out some videos of the Lone Mountain Band. Great picking!

Jamie - Glad you like them. The scenery was much better than my playing!

JEStanek
Jul-19-2010, 7:35pm
Andrew, my playing turns plains into valleys as the land recedes from it! Where about were you (for the rest of us who aren't as familiar with the beautiful landscape)?

Jamie

Andrew Roberts
Jul-19-2010, 7:48pm
We had just spent the weekend in Gatlinburg, TN, pretty close to Knoxville in the Smokey Mountains. On the way back to Nashville we stopped through Chattanooga to meet up with some friends, and these pictures were taken down there on top of Lookout Mountain. I am pretty sure this hang gliding spot is on the Georgia side of the mountain (Lookout Mountain kind of straddles Tennessee, Georgia, and Alabama).

bobbyburns
Jul-20-2010, 7:51am
Hey Andrew, Mando players are everywhere! That is about as inspirational a spot as one could find to play anywhere isn't it? Thanks for checking out the Lone Mountain Band page.

Andrew Roberts
Aug-02-2010, 9:52pm
A couple pics from this mountain trip have resurfaced, so I thought I would post one here, as promised. Not sure why my face looks so intense, I must have been trying to squeak out some tenor vocals, haha. I think I should cross my legs or just stick to baritone.

Ed Goist
Aug-03-2010, 8:43am
Andrew, Great Picture!...But, please don't tell me that's golf on the TV?! :crying:
That's a Martin 000-15 your buddy's playing isn't it? :)
Boy I bet the Martin, your Silver Angel, and the fiddle sounded sweet together! :mandosmiley:
Thanks for posting.

Andrew Roberts
Aug-03-2010, 1:59pm
Haha, sorry Eddie. That does look like golf, but I have no recollection of what tournament it was or why in the heck we had it on. I am betting the bourbon in the mug next to me played a large part in that memory loss! The guitar is actually my Martin DX, with the laminate back and sides. I bought that with some money I saved up one summer in high school, and it's actually not too bad of a guitar. It has a really mellow and balanced sound to my ears. Not a canon by any means, but a lot of fun to play.