PDA

View Full Version : Finished my f4 finally!

Deron
Jul-16-2010, 10:54pm
This is an f4 I started a long time ago, and finally finished. Most of the parts came from siminoff. I was VERY pleased with the quality of woods and over the phone advice he offered. This mandolin sounds wonderful and plays very well. 'm happy to answer any questions. Hope you enjoy the pics.

teet13
Jul-16-2010, 11:08pm
Great looking mando! Strikingly original inlay - love it.

Ivan Kelsall
Jul-17-2010, 4:45am
You've done a terrific job - I have to assume that your birth sign is Scorpio ??. The thing that i really like is the look of age it has,well done,
Ivan

fatt-dad
Jul-17-2010, 7:51am
Oh my, that's just great!

f-d

BadeInBulverde
Jul-17-2010, 9:13am
REALLY NICE!!! Motivates me to get in the shop and finish the F4 I started at Roger's lutherie camp in October ... life keeps getting in the way!

WELL DONE!!!!

Mark Marino
Jul-17-2010, 9:14am
Great job. I'm just getting to the finishing stage on my F4, so I know how much work it took. Really nice coloring and kudo's for sawing off the Florida shaped fretboard extension. How's it sound?

Deron
Jul-20-2010, 12:54am
It sounds great! I just had a precut plastic nut, and a bridge that wasn't fitted for this mandolin on it untill now, I a taking it o my buddies house who has a full setup shop to put the bone nut and fit a nice ebony bridge tommorow. It has a surprisingly loud and clear ring in single string play. It is really loud and punchy if you chop just behind the soundhole on chord play. I was surprised at how much the sound changed as i chopped chords in different spots. I usually dont play that far back when playing rythm, but the sound is WAY beter back there. This instrument has a typical f4 sound. Throaty and woody on the low register and clear on the highs. I have only had it up and runnin for about a month now, so I am waitin to see what it sounds like when it really opens up. And no, my birth sign isn't scorpio, and yes I get alot of flack for that inlay, but I put it in there because it is different and if you see that mando in 20 years you'll probably remember it... the f5 I'm working on now also has a crazy inlay... pictures to follow when I finish that one

MandoNicity
Jul-20-2010, 2:04am
Lovely job! Looks great!

JR

JEStanek
Jul-20-2010, 8:01am
Great job. Something to be proud of.

Jamie

Randy Smith
Jul-20-2010, 11:54am
Really nice looking mandolin. The scorpion really makes it unique.

ISU Trout Bum
Jul-20-2010, 11:55am
Looks great! Congrats!!

Pete Hicks
Jul-20-2010, 12:00pm
Very nice. Now I want one, too!

woodwizard
Jul-20-2010, 1:10pm
Nice one !!

EdHanrahan
Jul-20-2010, 1:52pm
WOW!!

You're right, we'll remember that scorpion in 20 years, but... Get a signed label in there so your great-grandkids will know where it came from!

B. T. Walker
Jul-20-2010, 11:00pm
I like it! Cool scorpion inlay. Scorpio shines in the summer evening sky, so now is the perfect time to finish. For that extra special mojo, go outside a little after it gets dark, face south, and play to the stars.