PDA

View Full Version : So What's the verdict: Sam Bush instructional DVDS/Download.

mandodan1960
Jul-16-2010, 12:08pm
I've purchased several DVD's over the years and frankly other than mostly watching and enjoying the music I really haven't found the DVD format to suit my style of learning. I seem to do better using the book/cd/slowdowner play along approach. Maybe because most of these seem to be geared toward the intermediate player and I still consider myself a novice. That said, How are you enjoying the Sam Bush lessons and more specifically does he give a good explanation of that awesome right hand and some exercises on how to get a difficult new rhythm pattern down.
Thanks, Mandodan1960

Dobe
Jul-18-2010, 1:32pm
I was probably approaching intermediate and Sam's 1st video just LAUNCED me !! I guess it's different for eveybody but I love Homespun stuff ! I was however, already an accomplished banjo & guitar player beforehand !

jaco
Jul-18-2010, 4:46pm
I don't have the new (DVD) one but all the previous ones. Sam is great. But his technique may not be the "proper" technique for you. I think he'd tell you to experiment and try different approaches. This subject has come up many times and you will get many opinions. More regarding the right hand than the left. All are worth exploring, but in the end it's what works for you. Good luck and have fun.

Fredmando
Jul-18-2010, 6:57pm
The first DVD will keep me busy forever. I've had the opportunity to meet Sam Bush before and he's the real deal. He told me all about his endorsements and, at the time, Gibson was making some killer strings with his name on the cover. He showed me that he was playing those very strings. I told him I loved the DVD set.

re simmers
Jul-20-2010, 1:20pm
I couldn't have asked for more. The rhythm DVD is fantastic.

Bob

Marcus CA
Jul-20-2010, 11:55pm
I couldn't have asked for more. The rhythm DVD is fantastic.

Yeah, just watching Sam go through all of the rhythmic variations in the opening segment was a complete thrill. The Hoss conversation was interesting, but I would have rather read that in an interview than have it take up the instructional time.

I haven't watched the "Girl from the North Country" segment yet because I couldn't wait to see him walk through "Sailin' Shoes." It was a "Life is short; eat dessert first" move. As you would expect, it was a very rich presentation. I'll probably work on bits and pieces of it, and when I'm on the desert island, I'll get the whole thing down for sure. :mandosmiley:

ald
Sep-11-2010, 7:32am
Well, I've been working on Girl from the North Country. I had worked out a very approximate version by ear but the DVD has been a real eye-opener for the subtleties I failed to pick up. It's very good.

I couldn't resist having a go at Sailing shoes. That chopping thing is driving me mad. I can actually do the chop, stopping the strings with my little finger. In the early exercises where he goes strum, block (with little finger) on beats 1 and 2, no problem. But on that shuffling lick he does on Sailing shoes I'm confounded. It is written out in tab. First he slides a three string chord ( top string 6 to 7) and then open G bass string, open G chord and then two sets of X's to show dampening of the strings with the little finger.

All very fine but, and sorry for not being very quick off the mark, I still don't get it. Is the open bass G up stroke, then down stroke for G chord, followed by up and down for muffled, then up for G chord, down up, or what exactly.

I know its not very complicated but I can't figure it out. Even from watching his fingers.
Anybody out there willing to set my mind at rest?

ald
Sep-11-2010, 11:05am
Well, I've been working on Girl from the North Country. I had worked out a very approximate version by ear but the DVD has been a real eye-opener for the subtleties I failed to pick up. It's very good.

I couldn't resist having a go at Sailing shoes. That chopping thing is driving me mad. I can actually do the chop, stopping the strings with my little finger. In the early exercises where he goes strum, block (with little finger) on beats 1 and 2, no problem. But on that shuffling lick he does on Sailing shoes I'm confounded. It is written out in tab. First he slides a three string chord ( top string 6 to 7) and then open G bass string, open G chord and then two sets of X's to show dampening of the strings with the little finger.

All very fine but, and sorry for not being very quick off the mark, I still don't get it. Is the open bass G up stroke, then down stroke for G chord, followed by up and down for muffled, then up for G chord, down up, or what exactly.

I know its not very complicated but I can't figure it out. Even from watching his fingers.
Anybody out there willing to set my mind at rest?

bagpipe
Sep-11-2010, 8:21pm
Hmm. I bought "The Sam Bush Mandolin Method" DVD and have to admit that I'm less than impressed. Its good if you want to learn the tunes featured but I didn't get much more out of it than that. It certainly didn't strike me as a mandolin tutor, other than learning the various featured tunes which he does explain well extremely well.

ald
Sep-12-2010, 5:05am
I bought it precisely because of that. I wanted to learn the tunes featured. And I think he does a splendid job of explaining them, apart from the riff I can't quite understand. He certainly does have bags of enthusiasm.

sachmo63
Sep-12-2010, 10:08am
I have the 2 newest which I downloaded and have to say I love'em. The download went great and you can put them on different computers. I have one on my mac and the other on the Dell Laptop. As far as content, my feeling is they both are wonderful. Sam does his thing and just watching him is worth the price of the dvd x10. There's a lot to be gained from this stuff and i've only scratched the surface.
:mandosmiley:

Zirkle
Mar-13-2015, 3:24pm
"I seem to do better using the book/cd/slowdowner play along approach. Maybe because most of these seem to be geared toward the intermediate player and I still consider myself a novice. "

I know it's not new any more, but I just got the Rhythm DVD and I loved it. Once he starts talking about his playing, he explains things very well. I also wanted to note that there is an excellent booklet that can be printed out straight from the DVD. It has notation (notes and tabs) for just about everything that is played on the DVD.