PDA

View Full Version : Hardcover book on Loar Mandolins

Knucklehead
Jul-13-2010, 2:33pm
I was reading the F-5 Journal, a copy from the '90s, and there was mention of a hardcover book that would be forthcoming. I've sent a PM to Mr. Wolfe a few weeks ago, but never got a response.

Was this book ever published and how does one purchase a copy?

Thanks!
Rob

f5loar
Jul-13-2010, 11:15pm
No.

evanreilly
Jul-14-2010, 8:07am
"No" is the short answer.
There were three editions of the Journal published, and there is still a pile of documentation and photographs that could be formulated into a coffee-table book on Gibson Mandolins. I have seen F5Loar's collection and it is much more extensive that what has already been published. However, Darryll Wolfe is the 'editor' and would need to be motivated to go forward with the project and assemble the resources available into a publishable format.
Pending that time, there is the Mandolin Archive, which you can look at on your laptop at the coffee table.

danb
Jul-14-2010, 9:18am
The nice part about the archive is how easy it is to update it. The downside is we don't have large master-photos of all the instruments. I believe Darryl and Tom got together recently and did a lot of scanning- I thinking there will be another photo landslide in the archive soon.

It'd sure be fun to see a finished book, though even proofing a single mandolin is a ton of work

buckles
Jul-14-2010, 9:23am
With print-on-demand, a book is more possible than it would have been once.

Darryl Wolfe
Jul-14-2010, 9:26am
F5loar and I have been tossing this idea around. Sorry for not responding Knucklehead, but I have been absent from the Cafe for quite a while. I felt like I needed a break

Knucklehead
Jul-14-2010, 5:58pm
F5loar and I have been tossing this idea around. Sorry for not responding Knucklehead, but I have been absent from the Cafe for quite a while. I felt like I needed a break

No problem, I understand, ...Aside from my question about the HC book, I wanted to buy some of the reproduction parts that are advertised.
Rob