PDA

View Full Version : Mystery mandolin ID

cstewart
Jul-12-2010, 10:45am
Can anyone identify this mandolin for me? It doesn't seem to have any obvious markings and I'm not knowledgeable enough yet to ID it.

Jim Garber
Jul-12-2010, 11:12am
Looks like a Korean made mandolin to me. I have seen that style for many years.

MikeEdgerton
Jul-12-2010, 11:42am
These were imported and sold under dozens of brand names. It is most likely Korean and they have been around since the 80's.

cstewart
Jul-12-2010, 12:46pm
So nothing special it seems. Would it be worth the $70 the seller is asking?

Clement Barrera-Ng
Jul-12-2010, 1:25pm
It could also be an old Kay or similar mandolin from the 50s through the 70s. I had one that looked pretty similar save for the sunburst finish mine had. If the neck is relatively straight, the neck joint is solid with no separation from the body, and plays well overall, I think $70 is a decent price for one. That's how much I paid for the Kay I had. Wish I still had it.

allenhopkins
Jul-12-2010, 1:36pm
Kinda looks like this Kent, (http://eugene.craigslist.org/msg/1769227979.html) with no fingerboard extension and the non-segmented f-holes. The Kent's a sunburst, though. The Kays I've seen often have had fingerboard extensions and segmented f-holes. Kent was a brand of imported Korean instruments. Tailpiece does look "Chicago," though.

How wrong can you go for $70?*

*$70 wrong, I guess...

Clement Barrera-Ng
Jul-12-2010, 1:46pm
Good call on the fingerboard extension, but not all Kay has the segmented f-hole. Here's mine that has the single f-hole cut-out:

I agree with other posters that this is likely an import mando that could have been sold under a variety of brands. Ultimately whether it's worth it depends on how much you like it and how well it plays for you. All I can say is that the asking price is not unreasonable.

MikeEdgerton
Jul-12-2010, 3:16pm
It could also be an old Kay or similar mandolin from the 50s through the 70s. I had one that looked pretty similar save for the sunburst finish mine had. If the neck is relatively straight, the neck joint is solid with no separation from the body, and plays well overall, I think $70 is a decent price for one. That's how much I paid for the Kay I had. Wish I still had it.

It's not an American made Kay but someone did import these with the Kay brandname in the very late 70's-80's. This isn't old enough to be an American made Kay and the give away is the body shape (it really is different), the F holes, and those little white plastic tuner bushings. I wouldn't pay $70.00 for one, I'd rather throw in a few more dollars and get an entry level Kentucky.

mrmando
Jul-12-2010, 3:23pm
My first mando was one of these. The nut was plastic ... so soft that a couple of months of playing shredded it. Buy it and you will doubtless be taking it to the repair shop very soon.

cstewart
Jul-12-2010, 3:32pm
Thanks for the info. Since it doesn't seem to be a step up from what I currently have, I'm letting it pass on by.