PDA

View Full Version : balck walnut and redwood

John Bertotti
Oct-02-2004, 9:13pm
Got your attention! Well Don and I are doing a little experiment. I'll be building one of his kits. After several emails this is what we came up with. A scale length just over 20". Five course Black walnut back and sides with a redwood top. Nut width at about 1 9/16". This should be quite an instrument when done. I'm still wanting a Freshwater also. Is this mas? I'm sure this kit Don has set up for me will be killer as long as I take my time and really quite cost effective considering the custom built prices. I'll be starting this kit in about three weeks.Thanks for all your advice everyone it helped a lot with this decision. One more question, where am I going to find five course strings for this scale length? Thanks John
Almost forgot it will be a fourteenth fret neck join.

John Bertotti
Oct-05-2004, 6:51am
Alright I will word my question a bit differently.
Those of you with five course instruments, where do you get your strings. Type, size, loop or ball end, sets or individual strings. Thanks John http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/rock.gif

Jacob
Oct-05-2004, 7:17am
This has been my approach:
Where - my local musical instrument stores sell individual guitar strings at reasonable prices.
Type - depends on what pleases your ear, phosphor bronze, bright bronze, stainless steel, monel, etc.
Size - this critical question is answered by the builder, or in this case, by the designer, because it determines the recommended total string tension load on the instrument.
Loop or ball end - depends on the tailpiece. If loop end required buy loop end if available in suitable lengths. Wound mandolin strings may be too short, the windings stop before the strings reach the nut. Most probably alter ball end guitar strings (http://www.frets.com/FRETSPages/Musician/Strings/Loops/loops.html).
Sets or individual strings - finding no sets to match the builder's or designer's suggested sizes, purchase and modify individual guitar strings.

John Bertotti
Oct-05-2004, 12:00pm
Thanks again Jacob, I did know what strings were originally used on his octave mando kit but I've asked to have the scale shortened and this wis the first with the short scale and extra course. When Don gets back I'll find out what strings he wad using. I forget now. Thanks John