PDA

View Full Version : Wappen. Who made them?

barloe
Jul-09-2010, 1:53pm
I have a very nice sounding Wappen with no identifying marks on it, but is very well made according to local shop owners and professionals. But I don't know the history and value of it. Where is the best place to look?

Jim Garber
Jul-09-2010, 1:54pm
Wappen is a style not AFAIK a manufacturer. The style originated in Germany.

barloe
Jul-09-2010, 2:02pm
I have been told this is likely made pre 1900 and has excellent tone and workmanship. So it is likely just made in this syle by a random builder and not specific to an area or set of builders who liked to make them?

allenhopkins
Jul-09-2010, 7:29pm
"Wappen" is apparently a German term referring to a coat of arms, or a garment bearing a coat of arms used to identify soldiers or others attached to a particular "house."

As applied to instruments, it's associated with a shield-like shape, somewhat similar to what we would call a "two-point" mandolin. There are "wappen" guitars, harp guitars, and mandolins, some with dual soundholes, some with a single soundhole. Most of the wappen instruments yielded by research are of European, mainly German, origin. Here's (http://www.springersmusic.co.uk/Library/Instruments/Mandolins/M%20fb%20wappen.JPG) a link to a wappen mandolin pic in the "on-line museum" of Pamela's Music in the UK; here's (http://www.springersmusic.co.uk/Library/Instruments/Guitars/G%20wappen.JPG) a wappen guitar, same source.

Schlegel
Jul-09-2010, 8:23pm
I have been told this is likely made pre 1900 and has excellent tone and workmanship. So it is likely just made in this syle by a random builder and not specific to an area or set of builders who liked to make them?

Allen was on the ball. If it's a Wappen type instruments from that time period, 99% chance it's German. Doesn't really narrow it down more than that. Germany was a major center of luthery, and there were many, many artisans and firms active at that time.

barloe
Jul-10-2010, 8:20pm
Thanks. My mandolin looks very much like the one from Pamela's music... which I already knew about. I thought maybe there was another thread of research about them somewhere. Thanks, though, it helps to narrow things down a bit.