PDA

View Full Version : Silverangel F model distressed

kyken
Jul-07-2010, 11:26am
here's the latest from my shop. The top is 180 year old cedar on the bass side and 106 year old red spruce on the treble side. This works well to get a certain sound combination.

300win
Jul-07-2010, 11:59am
Very nice Ken. What is the tone like on this one ?

kyken
Jul-07-2010, 8:00pm
Incredible tone..... I like bottom end, and believe without it , you have nothing. This one is perfect, not overly bassy, and has all the other ingredients too. This mandolin, you just touch it anywhere and pop!

ronlane3
Jul-07-2010, 8:27pm
Very gorgeous Ken. I wouldn't mind getting my mitts on her for a few hours.

Skip Kelley
Jul-07-2010, 9:33pm
Ken, that is sweet, brother! I like the top combination! Cool idea!

Kevin K
Jul-08-2010, 6:49am
Cedar and red spruce, that's a cool combination and both so old......

wildpikr
Jul-08-2010, 9:41am
She's gorgeous.

Stephen Cagle
Jul-08-2010, 10:15am
Looks GREAT Ken! I've played several Ratcliff mando's and yep they do have it all. I don't remember your E strings being that close together. I also can't remember, do you construct your own bridges or are they smith bridges? Stephen

Ron McMillan
Jul-08-2010, 10:25am
It is beautiful, but I'm afraid I personally never understood the desire for the 'distressed' look. I'm just old-fashioned and set in my ways, I guess - I wouldn't dream of buying pre-faded blue jeans or a new house made to look like it was two hundred years old.

Like others, I'm very curious about how it sounds, and hope to see a sound clip posted soon. I bet it sounds great.

ron

kyken
Jul-08-2010, 11:17am
You are right, it isn't for everybody, but you know, even the old masters of violin makers put some age and character into their instruments. JB Vuilliam in France even made a copy of Paganini's Canon while he had it in for repairs, and old Paganini couldn't tell the difference in look or sound, so the modern makers today aren't really doing anything new.