PDA

View Full Version : In memorium

Randi Gormley
Jul-07-2010, 7:23am
Ernest Henry Grauel, a Westport (Conn.) artist and father of one of my editors, died June 30 at age 82.

His obituary mentioned that he "was an artist his whole life, and at times worked as a theater projectionist and taxi driver. He loved Westport and was a local fixture, recognizable by his handlebar mustache and hats.

Ernie was mentored by the artists James Dougherty and Karl Anderson, and studied at the Pratt Institute, The Cooper Union and The Art Students League. He worked mostly in oils with an abstract, cubist style. His works were exhibited in shows throughout the region. "

His son posted this picture on his Facebook page, saying it was his favorite of all his father's works.

"As far as my mom and I can figure, this painting was done in the late '50s
to early '60s. Coolest mandolin painting in history!"

Skip Kelley
Jul-07-2010, 8:07am
Randi, so sorry to hear of the loss of your friend. That is the coolest of cool paintings!

JEStanek
Jul-07-2010, 9:29am
That is a very cool painting. Sorry for your friend's passing, Randi.

Jamie

Bertram Henze
Jul-07-2010, 9:41am
Artists don't die. And this one certainly would not deserve to. I am sure he continues to create beauty where we can't see it yet.

journeybear
Jul-07-2010, 9:53am
Sorry to hear the sad news. Why don't you post the painting to the Mandolins In Visual Art (http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/showthread.php?23840-Mandolins-in-visual-art) thread? That's a bit of immortality, which both artist and painting clearly deserve.

One of my mentors, also a dear friend, Eric von Schmidt, also lived in Westport and was a painter and illustrator as well as muscian and songwriter - a renaissance man who touched many lives and sadly passed in 2007. I'm sure he would have known Mr. Grauel.

billhay4
Jul-07-2010, 11:05am
Cool pic.
Bill