PDA

View Full Version : Interesting: 1929 F-2 with Vrzi

Goodin
Jul-06-2010, 7:41am
On the 'Bay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/VINTAGE-1929-Gibson-F-4-Mandolin-w-Virzi-Case-EXC-/370403068475?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item563dbe4a3b

I didn't think any Virzi's were installed after Loar left Gibson. I wonder if it was retro fitted or new old stock Virzi that was installed during the build. It isn't documented on the Archive.

danb
Jul-06-2010, 7:58am
On the 'Bay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/VINTAGE-1929-Gibson-F-4-Mandolin-w-Virzi-Case-EXC-/370403068475?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item563dbe4a3b

I didn't think any Virzi's were installed after Loar left Gibson. I wonder if it was retro fitted or new old stock Virzi that was installed during the build. It isn't documented on the Archive.

Looks like a holdover.. High serial for that peghead style. Klusons probably put on in 50s along with refinish. Would be nice to have that finish topcoat removed

Tom C
Jul-06-2010, 8:59am
I agree. It is an F4 though and I would have thought a straight logo for the year if it really was a '29.

Goodin
Jul-06-2010, 9:34am
I agree. It is an F4 though and I would have thought a straight logo for the year if it really was a '29.

Looks like they changed the listing from an F-2 to an F-4.

Jim Garber
Jul-06-2010, 9:40am
Who better to refresh a vintage F-4 than the same craftsmen who created it?

That is certainly open to discussion. I had a friend who had a wonderful 1920s L-1 guitar except it was returned to Gibson in the 1960s when they refinished it with a cherry sunburst -- the finish du jour. In those days, if you sent your slightly scratched instrument back to them they would refinish the whole thing as part of the "restoration." Good as new, eh??

mrmando
Jul-06-2010, 9:59am
Well, if you sent a '29 F4 back to Gibson in the '50s, you could be reasonably sure that "the same craftsmen who created it" are not going to be around to refinish it. The price here doesn't account for the refinishing at all. It's probably worth about half of the starting price.

reverhar
Jul-06-2010, 10:20am
It has some chewed up tuner buttons. What's going on with the fretboard and the extension?

Goodin
Jul-06-2010, 11:05am
Looks like the extension was scooped out more than usual. Here is my '24 F-2 for comparison.

Bernie Daniel
Jul-12-2010, 11:26pm
eBay ad: "It got a light makeover including some overspray on the body and neck ....."

In my opinion it got more than that. I'm guessing that it was refinished -- look at the close up of the scroll. And as mention the fingerboard extension is a mess. The tuner seem to be on the verge of hanging over the edge of the headstock - maybe they are hanging over a bit -- easy to cover in a photo. Its pretty but maybe the price is a too high -- IMO.