PDA

View Full Version : The first F

labraid
Oct-01-2004, 8:07pm
Hey guys and gals,
Sorry to have been inactive in the general forums so long, but this little baby has been occupying my attention...

http://www.bfolk.com/reuben19/images/f519_01large.jpg

Just thought I'd touch base and show her off a bit. She's sold, she'll be heading to Georgia soon. Sad to see her go, we saw more of each other than my girlfriend and I the last two months. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif
See ye's round...
Brian

Oct-01-2004, 8:28pm
Beautiful!.......interesting tailpiece to, your a man of many talents.

mad dawg
Oct-01-2004, 8:47pm
Georgeous -- nice work.

mandoJeremy
Oct-01-2004, 9:06pm
That is excellent! Great job!

doanepoole
Oct-01-2004, 10:49pm
Looks mighty beautiful to me.

I'd say you've got a knack for making one fine looing mandolin. I specifically like the unique headstock and the way you crafted the scroll. Eye candy for sure.

Michael Lewis
Oct-01-2004, 11:59pm
Very attractive. Looks like a good one.

FrankenMouse
Oct-02-2004, 12:11am
Gorgeous. I wouldn't change a thing. That's a Brian Dean tailpiece, no?

PhilGE
Oct-02-2004, 12:16am
whoa... I'm an A kind of guy, but that's one very tastefully done F. Nice interplay of color, curves, and points.

-Phil

mandoJeremy
Oct-02-2004, 12:27am
Hey Franken, you might want to check out his user profile. That is a Brian Dean tailpiece because that is a Brian Dean mandolin.

Bill Snyder
Oct-02-2004, 8:03am
Mr. Dean,

Beautiful instrument. I really like the peghead. Could you post some more photos?

Scotti Adams
Oct-02-2004, 8:07am
..mighty fine..fine indeed.

revray
Oct-02-2004, 9:02am
I own a flat top oval hole octave mandolin Brian custom built for me. Im telling you this guy is the real deal. Beautiful F Brian. I also have his tailpiece on my octave and it works great.

labraid
Oct-02-2004, 9:28am
Here's another.. There're several more over at the site, bfolk.com

http://www.bfolk.com/reuben19/images/f519_02large.jpg

Thanks much for the kind words,
Brian

mmukav
Oct-02-2004, 9:36am
Oh my!!! Looked great on the first picture, but oh that back is beautiful! Really, really nice work Brian. I would be surprised if your mandos aren't flying out of your shop!
Mike

krishna
Oct-06-2004, 9:30pm
Brian and I have a great relationship. I tell him how much he rocks, and he tells me how much I rock. Brian buddy,that axe not only rocks, so do YOU!.Beutiful work you American you!...Kerry....PS When I grow up, can I be you?

mandopete
Oct-07-2004, 7:53am
Lordy, lordy, lordy - you say this is your "first F" ?

Man that is a thing of beauty!

Ken Sager
Oct-07-2004, 9:22am
Yeeooowww, that's nice. This mandolin wants to be played, it's obvious.

Did you add a maple veneer on the back of the peghead, or is it a carved relief? Regardless, it's a nice effect. Overall, it's a stunning piece of mandolin.

Great work!
Ken

I just checked your website and see you bound the back of the peghead. Very nice. I bet it sounds great, too.

Chris Baird
Oct-09-2004, 6:30pm
Say, that is nice! Tell us more about the binding and the finish. Looks like tung oil.

grandmainger
Oct-10-2004, 2:51am
Lovely! What type of binding did you use? I can't quite make it out on the pics (black - ? ? ? - black).
I love the way it blends in with the wood.

Exude
Oct-10-2004, 9:07am
That is beauitful. What type of finish did you use. I love the subtle stain.

labraid
Oct-12-2004, 6:26pm
Hey guys,
The bindings are bloodwood, quilted maple, and blackwood. Each layer was applied before the next could follow, needless to say it was time consuming but worth the end result. The finish, tisk, tisk, don't ye's know I can't give away the secret. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/wink.gif #But it is a varnish, polished in several steps. It's my favorite finish because it ain't plastic-y, and even with a semi-gloss it won't grab, 'tis slick and smooth. And thin too. Yet it has visual depth, like looking into a lacquer. People seem to enjoy it.

Brian

ira
Oct-12-2004, 11:40pm
blonde and beautiful!

unkelbud
Oct-14-2004, 8:08am
Brian Dean # 19 player’s review

Thought y’all might be interested in how she sounds.

Though this is Brian’s first F style mando, he has been making flat top A’s and dolas for awhile. #As you can see, Brian has created one beautiful mandolin here and she looks even better in person and feels just great in my hands.

I just want to let everyone know she plays and sounds as beautiful as she looks. #

She is magnificent! #She just wants to be played and I can feel the music vibrating in the wood. #The neck is great. Very fast. #The body is nice and light. The highly carved back and top bowls are beautiful and well formed. #Intonation is perfect all the way up and down the neck.

The inlay, the bindings, all of it is just perfect! The sound is great already and seems to improve every time I play. # Maybe I am just learning how she responds to get the tone I want, but she is barely a week old and she is really learning to bark. #The potential of this mandolin is awesome!

Thanks Brian for curing my MAS.

Unkelbud
http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mandosmiley.gif