PDA

View Full Version : Another novice string gauge question

Spherical Abberation
Jul-04-2010, 5:42pm
Hello!

I'm one of the many who started out in guitar and found himself inexplicably drawn to to the mandolin. I've been playing for almost a month now and enjoying it quite a bit. Coming from piano and classical guitar though, it's a bit hard on the fingers.

So, I'll need to change strings soon, as I'm playing on medium gauge d'adarios that came with my instrument. I'd like to change to light gauge strings but I don't want intonation issues. My question is:

Can I change from medium to light gauge (specifically, from D'adario J74s to J73s) without affecting the intonation and without having to change the setup?

I've seen both yes and no on this thread: http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/showthread.php?62637-Changing-to-lighter-strings&highlight=changing+gauge
Which confused me enough to coax me to start a new thread.

Your time and expertise is greatly appreciated! :)

Phil Goodson
Jul-04-2010, 11:09pm
Hello!

Can I change from medium to light gauge (specifically, from D'adario J74s to J73s) without affecting the intonation and without having to change the setup? ....

Probably.

mandroid
Jul-04-2010, 11:16pm
One string changed at a time , and the bridge shouldn't shift around..

Don't take them all off at once... the bridge is not glued down

Spherical Abberation
Jul-05-2010, 2:28am
I take it by your response, mandroid, that if I don't move the bridge in the act of changing the strings, the difference of string gauge won't significantly affect the intonation, yes?

grassrootphilosopher
Jul-05-2010, 4:43am
Mandolins are notorious for having intonation problems. Vintage instruments may be more problematic than new good mandolins.

So when you change strings and/or string types you may encounter intonation problems even though all other tings are unchanged.

For your entertainment: I have a 30ies Strad-O-Lin. About ten years ago (on a stormy night, someone was killed etc. etc.) I had Happy Traums Homespun Tapes mandolin strings (best ones that I´ve played so far) that I guess are made by D´Addario on my mandolin. I changed to D´Addario J 74s (also very good) and the whole intonation was shot. I fiddled with the instrument, even brought it to "some luthier" and all my efforts didn´t get me anywhere. So I had to take it to a real luthier (Jürgen Richter in Hamburg) who performed a major set up and made a new top for my adjustable bridge to compensate for the intonation problems. The mandolin has never had any problems anymore. I didn´t change the string type either.

The easy on the fingers problem will usually mend after a while. A month or two with regular playing should take care of callouses that will take the string strength. J 74s are really not "that" hard on the fingers. It may be that your action at the nut etc. needs adjustment to give the instrument a different feel. Strings and string gauges are usually just one piece in a mosaik.

Dave Hanson
Jul-05-2010, 5:59am
Of course you can always mark the position of the bridge with sticky labels or a felt tip if you want to take all the strings off, or just measure the distance from the nut, it 'aint rocket science.

Dave H

mandroid
Jul-05-2010, 10:15am
String Gage, like .011'' to .010'' reduction, Its only a thousandth of an inch or so smaller wire,
I doubt you will hear a significant difference.
[anecdotal] I have 2_'22 'A' mandolins, one has lighter strings than the other ,
Happen to be, GHS A250, and LS250, the latter a bit heavier /thicker 0n all 4 strings
made no significant adjustments other than changing the strings.

Phil Goodson
Jul-05-2010, 1:55pm
Like I said: probably.

mandroid
Jul-05-2010, 2:26pm
1 thousandth ... 0.001 ~o)

Spherical Abberation
Jul-05-2010, 2:33pm
Thanks everyone for all the assistance. So prompt too. I think I like mandolin people!

Murphy Slaw
Jul-05-2010, 7:32pm
Thanks everyone for all the assistance. So prompt too. I think I like mandolin people!

Way better than drummers..........