PDA

View Full Version : Looking for Jam

Steve-in-PA
Feb-12-2004, 11:05pm
Hello everyone,

I'm looking for people to jam with in the Harrisburg, Pennsylvania area. I've been playing mando for 6 months and guitar for 10+ years. I'm hooked on the mandolin and want to get a weekly/monthly jam session going. I'm into all acoustic bluegrass-jamgrass music..

Thanks for this site and all the helpful info.

Steve

jim simpson
Feb-13-2004, 7:58am
Ed Pollak, fiddle player maintains a jam page for PA and surrounding area. Check out: www.icdc.com/~fmoore/edspage.htm
Hope this helps - Jim

Steve-in-PA
Feb-13-2004, 10:43pm
Thanks for the info. Jim. If there's anyone else in the area looking to get together once in a while for a jam please get in touch.
Steve

stefeb
Feb-14-2004, 6:59am
Meadowood Music, in Kutztown, PA (the place where I bought my Weber) has a jam session the first and third Monday of the month. It's from seven to eight. I am thinking of going this Monday night. Never jammed before, so am a bit nervous.

There are players of all levels, and the owner has it set up to be more like a jamming lesson. I like that concept.

bassfiddler
Feb-26-2004, 2:38pm
Hi Steve-in-PA;
I play bass fiddle for the Bluegrass Academy in Campbelltown PA, right on Rt. 322 outside Hershey, in the old Firehall. Why don't you come out for our March 5th jam? We also have an open stage. There is a $3 charge because we have to rent the hall from the music store that owns it, that night. We hold these informal jams the first Friday of every month, from 7 to about 10. We'd love to see you. Ask for Robin, bass - if you do come, don't be shy.

KevinM
Feb-26-2004, 8:20pm
Hey I'm near Elverson PA near the Morgantown Exit of the turnpike - how far is it to your jam, bassfiddler? What do you guys play? Monroe, fiddle tunes, Old Joe Clark?

<so I can practice and not make a complete fool of myself>

Steve-in-PA
Feb-27-2004, 7:57am
Thanks for the reply's,

I plan on showing up at the jam in Campbelltown. I've heard about it from quite a few folks. Looking forward to meeting some new people to pick with.

See ya then,, Steve

bassfiddler
Mar-01-2004, 10:42am
Steve-in-PA,
Look forward to seeing you at the Friday jam. Always good to get some new pickers! Feel free to bring other players along if you like.

KevinM, you also asked about our jam and thanks for your interest. It's a longer drive for you, between 45 minutes and one hour, come straight up the Turnpike going west, to (old exit) 20 - it's the Lebanon exit. Go right from the exit onto 72 North toward Hershey. That will lead you right onto Rt. 322 (the road appears to split, with 322 going off to the left, it is well marked and easy to follow). Just stay on 322 into Campbelltown, which is the second 35 mile an hour area you'll pass through. (the first is Fontana, there will be an Umbergers farm supply on your right) Landmarks once in Campbelltown: the fire company on the left, the Rising Sun bar/restaurant on the left, across from on the right side is the Jam at the old firehall, a brick building that is now the bluegrass academy. The driveway is just past the building. If you pass the Turkey Hill and a traffic lite after seeing these landmarks, you've gone too far. It's about 12-13 miles from the turnpike exit.

bassfiddler
Mar-01-2004, 10:47am
KEVINM and anyone else planning on coming: DIRECTION CHANGE
---------------------------------
Must be those low vibrations on the bass. The directions are great, except.... you go LEFT after the toll booth onto rt. 72 North. Just a minor glitch :)

You also asked about type of music: standard jam tunes like Joe Clark, Soldier's Joy, Salt Creek, Fireball Mail...plus Mac Wiseman, or Allison Kraus, depends on who all is there....there are a couple of rooms you can split off into. The one room is usually mostly students so they would stick to our 'core 20' jam tunes for the most part. But, you never really know.