PDA

View Full Version : Mandolin on the way - Aria Pro

jnsadavis
Oct-01-2004, 1:08pm
Hey everyone. I have really enjoyed this forum. I've been searching for a mandolin for a couple of months and duh if I didn't stumble across a freebie. My mother-in-law offered to give my wife her dad's old mando. My wife doesn't play, so I'm going to end up with it and an old fiddle or two (I love my wife). It's an Aria Pro II F model, and he was playing it back in the late 70s/early 80s. Anybody heard of them or have any experience? I can't wait to start learning. It should be here early next week. You guys are a hoot! Jeff.

duuuude
Oct-01-2004, 1:16pm
Hey, if it's free then the price is right, enjoy! And if mando don't suit ya you can always play fiddle, but I'm guessin' a good setup wil have than mando singin' just fine.
http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mandosmiley.gif

fatt-dad
Oct-01-2004, 1:21pm
Welcome Jeff! In 1986, I bought my first mandolin - an Aria Pro II PM-780. Nice, all wood (versus laminated wood) mandolin. The PM-780 is a florentine or F-style mandolin, a style made famous by Gibson in the early 1900s. Most bluegrass mandolin players use a f-style mandolin but there are real nice A-style mandolins out there also. One of my other mandolins (well I gave it to my son) is an Aria Pro II A-model mandolin with an electric pickup. (Perfectly suited to a 14 year old with an amp - ha.

From what I know, there are different grades and styles of Aria Pro II mandolins, so when it's in hand, you will have a better idea of how it plays and what it is made from. I am certain you will love it. If you "take" to the mandolin at all, I am also certain you will likely begin searching for others. It is quite a passion that keeps many of us out of trouble - ha again.

fatt-dad

jnsadavis
Oct-01-2004, 1:27pm
The price is right for sure!! Regarding playing the fiddle, that's a weird bird. My father-in-law set me up with an old fiddle before he died and I messed around with it. Wooh baby. Never could get the hang of having no frets and that dern bow. I'm too used to a guitar, I guess.