PDA

View Full Version : Ah! A new toy! c.1930s Portuguese Mandolin

Jake Wildwood
Jun-29-2010, 11:42pm
Here's a link to my blog post:
Click here fellas! (http://antebelluminstruments.blogspot.com/2010/06/c1930-american-made-portuguese-mandolin.html)

This is my 2nd choice in all-time favorite mandolins thus far, and it's likely not going to be leaving the roost anytime soon... I'm gonna have to get yous-all some clips or a video so you can see/hear it in action. Lovely thing. Just finished it this morning (Tues.)

Jake Wildwood
Jun-29-2010, 11:43pm
p.s. The yucky wood filler was NOT my addition. I removed a lot more of it! :D

B. T. Walker
Jun-30-2010, 12:55pm
Cool Jake. I always liked Portuguese mandos. Are you going to do something with the top, or just call it a name referencing Al Capone or Tony Montana? :grin:

brunello97
Jun-30-2010, 4:54pm
Very nice. And who do you think would have the pick of choice RW around that time? You are right, I'd be keeping that close to the bone.

Mick

Jill McAuley
Jun-30-2010, 8:24pm
Nice! I particularly like the side view shots - the better to appreciate the lovely rosewood sides!

Cheers,
Jill

David Houchens
Jul-01-2010, 5:54am
Nice looking cook stove too!

Jake Wildwood
Jul-01-2010, 9:08am
Brian: I may address it at some point... but considering that all my instruments have some sort of wounds... it's not super important to recolor it and hide it... :) ...especially after a good half hour of removing most of the filler from the top. What's remaining is recessed into chips or cracks.

Mick: Not sure who'd have this kind of RW but it is particularly nice.

Jill: Thanks!

David: Yeap, my wife's folks have good taste in stoves. That one's on our store porch advertising "beautiful stuff in here!" :)

EdHanrahan
Jul-01-2010, 9:42am
REAL nice! The worm gear supports, while SO elegantly curvy, look strong enough to hold together for the next several millennia. You'd think they would've caught on!

Jake Wildwood
Jul-01-2010, 3:06pm
Ed: Yup, the 30s open-backed Klusons had the look and the build. They work just fine, too... still going strong and I didn't even need to lube them at all. Curiously these weren't slotted-head tuners but the maker cut the headstock slots just right to adapt these solid-head tuners. Thinking ahead!

brunello97
Jul-01-2010, 7:26pm
Mick: Not sure who'd have this kind of RW but it is particularly nice.

Ah, Jake, I was being cryptically rhetorical, having not seen your blogpost. I assumed a Brazilian (or Portuguese) manufacture where access to choice rosewood at this time must have been a dream (or proto ecological nightmare, one.) No lack of beautiful wood made it to the US anyhow. Any clue to the manufacture?

Mick

Jake Wildwood
Jul-01-2010, 7:46pm
Mick: Not at all -- but probably made by a Portuguese luthier living in the US, as the tuners are 1930s Klusons.