PDA

View Full Version : Pick-up the World, K and K, other piezo pickups.

wadeyankey
Jun-24-2010, 10:39am
Hi all,

I just acquired a new mandolin (Collings MF) that will most likely be in need of some sort of pickup in the near future. I have noticed that the Pick-up the World two footed mandolin pickup can be installed with no alteration of the instrument when using the vintage (1/8") jack. This appeals to me, as I would really like to not make any alterations to the instrument if at all possible. Does anyone have experience with this pickup?

I have used the K&K Mandolin Twin, which can also be purchased with a vintage jack. I like it fairly well, so anyone who could provide a comparison of the two would be particularly appreciated. Thanks!

mandroid
Jun-24-2010, 10:43am
Hundreds of prior posts on those and pickups in general, Mate. FAQ. :popcorn:

there are archives to be studied see the word archive at the bottom of the page..

Clement Barrera-Ng
Jun-24-2010, 10:59am
I've only used the K&K, and only a single piezo at that (Hotspot). I think it's a decent pickup for the prize, but would have liked a bit more fidelity to the output. I didn't realize that both PUTW and K&K can be purchased with a vintage jack from the manufacturer. That may nudge me toward an upgrade.

There are definitely lots of postings about each one of the pickups you mentioned, though there may not be a explicit comparison between the two brand you are interested in. But definitely check out some of these postings that had helped me in the past:

http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/showthread.php?61372-Pickup-options&highlight=pickup
http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/showthread.php?62828-K-amp-K-Twin-vs.-AKG-C1000S&highlight=pickup
http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/showthread.php?59049-Anyone-Installed-a-K-amp-K-Twin-in-their-Mandolin&highlight=pickup

NickAlberty
Jun-24-2010, 11:33am
I'll probably get knocked off here for this.......

However, I would not recommend buying anything from PUTW. It's sad that I can't tell you why. The last time I tried to share what happened in my experience with them, the moderator blocked me and the thread.

I just would not buy anything from them.

Clement Barrera-Ng
Jun-24-2010, 11:36am
However, I would not recommend buying anything from PUTW. It's sad that I can't tell you why..

I guess we'll just have to PM you instead...

Rob Gerety
Jun-24-2010, 3:26pm
Schertler Dyn M.

Or, consider just using a mic.

I'm never been enthusiastic about that little connector on the Vintage Jack. I might use it on a gorgeous vintage mandolin so as to avoid modification - but not on a modern mandolin - imho. I know lots of people like them.

Shelagh Moore
Jun-24-2010, 6:54pm
I've personally had excellent service, and results, from PUTW (model 27 installed internally) on several occasions even though I'm in Europe... so no problems here.

Big Joe
Jun-25-2010, 7:24am
We have installed a number of pickups from various companies. Our current favorite is the K&K mandolin pickup. It sounds more natural than most of the others. Headway makes a great sounding pickup but is a bit more difficult to install. It is a piezo that mounts into the saddle, but you have to route the bottom of the saddle to get the pickup in it. It is a fairly large cable and can affect the integrity of the saddle.

We used the Radius for quite awhile, but over a bit of time have had some complaints about them. We have veered from those. There are lots of options, but at this time the K&K seems to be the best for ease of use and good sound.

Jon Hall
Jun-26-2010, 7:22am
Does the K&K attach to the bridge or underneath the top? What type of jack? A friend asked me to recommend a pick up but since I have a "out of production" McIntyre on my Weber I didn't know what to tell her.

Big Joe
Jun-26-2010, 7:44am
Hey Jon...The K&K installs inside under the top. It comes out the end pin jack. So far, the thing we like best, is that it just works very good. To me, that is the first issue on amplification. There are some that seem good for a bit, but don't last. They just don't work consistently and, to me, that makes them worthless. Installing the pickup is a bit tricky, but not really complicated. You just have to make sure you put the pickups (there are 2 round pieces) in the correct spot to get the best sound for that instrument. The end pin jack output is the safest way for any pickup to be installed, and if one ever wishes to get rid of the pickup the jack and pickup can be removed and the hole plugged and redrilled for a standard end pin.

mandroid
Jun-26-2010, 1:48pm
OTOH Schertler Dyn M fits to the top as needed , take it off and stow it in the nice box when not needed ,

and will be there for as many mandolins as you migrate thru, and on guitars and all the other acoustic instruments, no need to re install it in each purchase..

:popcorn:

Jon Hall
Jun-27-2010, 5:40am
Joe,

I appreciate the advice. I passed it on to my buddy. She might be contacting you.

Thanks

Tim2723
Jun-27-2010, 11:13am
OTOH Schertler Dyn M fits to the top as needed , take it off and stow it in the nice box when not needed ,

and will be there for as many mandolins as you migrate thru, and on guitars and all the other acoustic instruments, no need to re install it in each purchase..

:popcorn:

It works on all kinds of acoustic instruments. Harp, psaltery, saz, oud, kantele, whatever ya got. Not specifically a piezo though.