PDA

View Full Version : Tuning down a tone and using capo's? Problems??

deadratwish
Jun-23-2010, 8:26pm
I've recently tried tuning all strings down a tone, so I'm able to play G and C tunes, with the A and D shape, and then capoing upto play out of A and D.
I know its cheating but its really working well for me catching up to more accomploshed players in my band.
Wondering if people know of any problems i may encounter with using capo's or tuning down a whole tone???

Steve L
Jun-23-2010, 9:25pm
If you're getting the result you want, why worry about it? Tuning down a whole tone is probably not driving the soundboard as much unless you've figured out how to compensate for the lack of string tension and capos on a small neck can get in the way. Other than that, if it works it works.

mandroid
Jun-23-2010, 9:34pm
Capo off and C is really Bb, G is F.

jim_n_virginia
Jun-24-2010, 5:56am
I dunno... the scale length of a mandolin is already short with a double coursed mandolin. Using a capo seems like you would be cutting out what little sustain you would have. Not to mention leaving less fretboard to play on.

Also I dunno about your hands but when I use a capo on a mandolin the capo crowds my hand when I play chords right next to it.

I guess go for it if you like the sound but for me it would get in the way more than help me.

roscoestring
Jun-24-2010, 6:01am
That's funny cause I tune standard and capo up to play A, B, C and the flats in between. The really true oldtimers that I sometimes play with hate capos. I'm of the opinion that if you get the desired result then do whatever makes you most comfortable. I can see no problems with the different tuning.

fscotte
Jun-24-2010, 6:13am
Perhaps buzzing.

Malcolm G.
Jun-24-2010, 6:46am
I agree with fscotte about possible buzzing.

I've tweaked my mandolins' touch to the point where even switching to lighter-gauged strings can cause buzz - forcing me to shim the nut a thou or two.

Dropping a tone is a lot on these short scaled little things.

Bertram Henze
Jun-24-2010, 8:27am
This is a frequent tweak on larger scale mandolin family members such as the bouzouki. Tendencies to use a different instrument's techniques are an indicator to just buy one ;)

EdHanrahan
Jun-24-2010, 12:47pm
Guessing that your neck relief has flattened out a bit? The reduced tension would cause that and, thus, maybe lead to the suspected buzzing. If an issue, I'd be tempted to increase the string gauge by a thousandth or two.