PDA

View Full Version : Randy Hogan Mando straps

Skip Kelley
Jun-23-2010, 3:50pm
No financial interest here. I see Randy has some straps for sale and I use his straps exclusively. He has custom made all my straps and they will last forever. Plus he's a great guy as well!

Phil Goodson
Jun-23-2010, 5:17pm
I've had one of his 6-braid round straps for a couple years,... and love it.
I wish I had another F mando so I'd have an excuse to get one of his round braid transition to flat braid models.:grin:
NFI

woodwizard
Jun-23-2010, 5:34pm
Randy IS a really great guy. Makes wonderful custom made straps. And he's from Arkansas! Had to throw that in there. :) He made a cool round braid for my 1919 A4. They are first class quality straps. I believe a lot of pro's use his straps as well. Like Ricky Skaggs maybe for one.

mandroid
Jun-23-2010, 9:31pm
I have in mind[thinking out loud] a strap that starts as a 'monkey's fist' plaited over an aspirin tablet sized disc of some belt leather,
and then, say braided from there in a typical round , pattern ..
rather than a loop over the scroll .. :sleepy:

the Button end of the strap wont pull back thru the scroll slot, and the rest is pretty much like normal , perhaps a signal cable strain relief added around the back end, to loop the pickup plug thru.

:cool:

B. T. Walker
Jun-23-2010, 10:01pm
Where did you see Randy had some strap for sale? Did I miss his ad in the classifieds? I have one of his straps and would love a couple more, but he has proven to be difficult to track down.

Phil Goodson
Jun-23-2010, 11:14pm
Where did you see Randy had some strap for sale? Did I miss his ad in the classifieds? I have one of his straps and would love a couple more, but he has proven to be difficult to track down.

Here's his link. Read the print below his picture for ordering instructions. (http://entertainment.webshots.com/photo/1177917137054468518VjNZLN)

Also see Classifieds in the mando section dated 6/23.

woodwizard
Jun-23-2010, 11:14pm
Yes...Check the classifieds here at the cafe. He only builds straps certain times of the year due to his busy schedule. Randy appears to be taking orders now for a while tho. He's not hard to find living in the little town of Greenwood Arkansas.

B. T. Walker
Jun-24-2010, 12:22am
Ah. Found it. Thanks.

I've gotten many compliments on the Randy Hogan strap I have. Once, I accidentally left it at the weekly jam, and spent a couple of nervous months trying to get it back from the fellow jammer who half-jokingly said he'd found a free strap. He merely claimed it when someone else held it up asking whose it was. I did get it back...finally. The thought of it still gets me boiling. I should just let it go, but...:mad:. See? Boiling, again.

Skip Kelley
Jun-24-2010, 6:19am
I have in mind[thinking out loud] a strap that starts as a 'monkey's fist' plaited over an aspirin tablet sized disc of some belt leather,
and then, say braided from there in a typical round , pattern ..
rather than a loop over the scroll .. :sleepy:

the Button end of the strap wont pull back thru the scroll slot, and the rest is pretty much like normal , perhaps a signal cable strain relief added around the back end, to loop the pickup plug thru.

:cool:

Contact Randy about that and I bet he can make you one!

ROBERT LEE
Jun-24-2010, 1:02pm
Best mandolin straps I've come across by far.

woodwizard
Jun-26-2010, 10:46am
Here's a pic of my Randy Hogan strap. Love it! :) :mandosmiley:

woodwizard
Jul-08-2010, 1:15pm
Randy sent me a message saying that he has put a pic of me holding my A4 & w/the new strap he built for me on his web site. Pic was taken when I picked it up at his house. Well anyway he said he has named the strap "The Mike Parks A Model mandolin strap" and has been getting calls for that "Mike Parks strap" ... That's just too Coooooool !!! Some have streets named after them... I've got a mandolin strap. Awesome! thanks Randy. .... And it is a fantastic mandolin strap at that.

Steve Perry
Jul-08-2010, 2:48pm
I've got a couple of Randy's straps. A round braid from several years ago and a P.O.S. Excellent quality and he's really easy to work with. I'm thinking I may have to have one of his flat braids, though...:grin:

Mike Bunting
Jul-08-2010, 3:05pm
Congratulations, Mike, way better a strap than a street! By the way, I can't tell how your attaches to the neck end from that picture. Do you have a heel button or what?

woodwizard
Jul-08-2010, 6:10pm
Thanks Mike! That is way cool ain't it? Nope! no heel button that's for sure! Still all original. Randy gave me a nice soft piece of matching leather that we tied around the heel & mando, under the pickguard & around/under the end of the fret board extension. Works and looks great. Very balanced. I'll try to take a picture of it for you.

Phil Goodson
Jul-09-2010, 7:10am
Just got my new round to flat braid strap from Randy. Similar to the one Ricky Skaggs has been seen with.
Beautifully done in 6 strap braid. I couldn't be happier with it.
My 2nd Hogan strap.
NFI

hank
Jul-09-2010, 8:47pm
Randy made my A4 strap as well. Works good last long time. Thanks Randy.

B. T. Walker
Jul-26-2010, 2:25pm
I ordered three different ones for some mandolins that had no straps in their cases. These new straps are just great. The leather is high quality, the colors go well with their mandolins, and the braiding is top notch. In fact, I think Randy has gotten better since I ordered my first of his straps in 2005. The new ones look just that much smoother. The six-braid strap is really nice. I thought the round braid would be a larger diameter, but it is the same as a four-braid.

One new addition to his a-style straps since 2005: The end attaching to the heel button used to be a strip of leather with a hole punched in it, but the new straps have a short length of flat braid that works into the round braid. You loosen the flat part to fit the heel button through, then pull to tighten like "Chinese handcuffs" behind the button. Very secure.

Good work, Randy. Thanks.

shawn-d
Jul-31-2010, 10:57pm
How much is he getting for one of these straps, and what is the best way to contact him.

Phil Goodson
Jul-31-2010, 11:57pm
Read reply #6

shawn-d
Aug-01-2010, 1:07pm
I didn't even see that. thanks