PDA

View Full Version : New Loar 600 VS

sgrexa
Jun-22-2010, 12:31am
Well, not really having been a part of the "online" mando world for a bit, I just wanted to chime in on my new purchase. I was totally turned off by the "flashinest" of the Loars at first, but sold my Eastman 515 and decided to give one a try. Dennis at the Mandolin Shop sent me a good one, nicely set up, and very good service. Basically, I was kind of bored with the 515, and wanted something new. Something to bring to festivals and beat up on! I can honestly say that the mandos coming out of China are really impressive. I play a Kimble 2 point, and really like this "Loar" almost as much! The neck is HUGE though, so consider that if it is an issue. I am getting used to it and really digging the tone. Finish is impressive, as is the devotion to quality overall. Happy camper!

Sean

Big Joe
Jun-22-2010, 7:16am
The Loar mandolins are working on making the necks a bit more user friendly. I have an LM400 A model with a neck that is about the same as a regular mandolin. For me it is a bit more comfortable, though many find the larger necks better for them. I think a lot of it has to do with what we get used to. If I play one of the bigger necks for a bit it does not bother me. If I only play it on occasion between "regular" sized necks it is a bit weird. The new A model I have is really nice to me. Several of us have been trying to get them to reduce the neck size a bit for some time. I am hoping we will see this on the F models as well.

sgrexa
Jun-22-2010, 8:19am
Thanks for the reply Joe. The instrument is a little on the heavy side, and I think thinning these necks out would help. Having only played one real Loar years ago at Mandolin Bros, I wonder how true to specs. these actually are? All in all, a fine instrument for the money.

Sean

sgrexa
Jun-22-2010, 8:22am
http://www3.snapfish.com/snapfish/slideshow/AlbumID=3266895006/PictureID=154327428006/a=16680309_16680309/

sgrexa
Jun-22-2010, 8:31am
http://www3.snapfish.com/snapfish/slideshow/AlbumID=3266895006/PictureID=154327428006/a=16680309_16680309/

Wonder why this pic is not showing up? Can anyone else view it? What settings might I need to change. Thanks!

Sean

jim simpson
Jun-22-2010, 10:31pm
Sean,
Not sure what's going on with your picture posting troubles.
See the link for instructions:

http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/showthread.php?43924-How-To-Post-An-Image&p=579203&viewfull=1#post579203

Joe,
Good to hear that the Loar's necks will be tamed down a bit. I had a student with one and liked everything else about it. I'm used to larger necks having an old oval hole Gibson A and a Collings. I can switch between them and my Daley or Glenn which both have smaller necks.

goldtopper
Jun-23-2010, 4:47am
You get used to that neck real fast, it's like anything new, just takes adjustment.
The tone made made me forget about the neck in a week.

Clement Barrera-Ng
Jun-23-2010, 1:52pm
The Loar mandolins are working on making the necks a bit more user friendly. I have an LM400 A model with a neck that is about the same as a regular mandolin..<snipped> I think a lot of it has to do with what we get used to.

Agreed. My 400 has what I'd consider a very standard neck profile that I've found on other mandolins. And Joe is also dead on when he said it comes down to what we're used to. As someone who's coming to mandolin from years of playing the octave mandolin, the narrow neck was one of the last hurdle I needed to get over before feeling comfortable on the mandolin finally. I often wondered before why they don't make any mandolin with 1 1/4" neck width.... :)

Clement Barrera-Ng
Jun-23-2010, 1:55pm
Quick question to Joe and Dennis (as well as others who carry the Loar line): Are the new 600 still coming out with the 'big' neck? Just curious in case I want to give it a try.

Folkmusician.com
Jun-23-2010, 6:52pm
The latest 600 and 700 models both have the larger neck. The 400, has the pretty standard size neck.. There is also a new LM-300 that i have not seen yet. I should have one in a few days.

Clement Barrera-Ng
Jun-23-2010, 6:59pm
There is also a new LM-300 that i have not seen yet. I should have one in a few days.

Whoa... didn't even know about that. Is it another A style mandolin? Perhaps an oval hole? Definitely look forward to a first impression report from you Robert.

Big Joe
Jun-23-2010, 9:06pm
The 600 and 700 I just got have the bit bigger neck, but the 400 I got at NAMM has a very normal sized neck. Plays great and sounds great. The LM300 is a new model. It is like the 600 in that it has the flowerpot and nickel hardware and tone bars. The 400 is like the 700 with Fern headstock inlay, gold hardware, and no tone bars. I am excited about the 300. For a bit under 500.00 you get a handcarved mandolin with dovetail neck joint and nitro lacquer. Amazing!!! If it is as good as the 400's it is certain to be a hit. I'm trying to decide whether to just keep the 400 for myself. I really kind of hate the idea of selling it. Just like the other 400
models I've had, it is a great mandolin.

TDMpicker
Jun-24-2010, 6:20am
The 400 I just got from Robert @ Folkmusician is great. I had it upgraded with a CA bridge. I've been playing a KM-1000 and really like the profile of that neck. I was a little concerned about the neck of the 400. Once the 400 arrived and I started playing it I didn't notice any difference in the necks at all. To me it seemed very comfortable, not oversized at all.

Did I say I was really impressed with the fit, finish and sound of the 400?
It seems crazy that you can get a mandolin this nice at such a reasonable price.