PDA

View Full Version : Different Gibson headstock emblem

mellon
Jun-20-2010, 2:49pm
Hi, I've aquired a Gibson Mandolin that has a different (the gibson) emblem on the headstock. Can anyone tell me any info on it.

Skip Kelley
Jun-20-2010, 3:11pm
mellon, can't see the "emblem". It looks to have had some work done to it.

Jim Garber
Jun-20-2010, 9:51pm
Most likely it did not have any logo on the headstock (as many straight A models) and previous owner glued(?) whatever that is. Post a larger pic of the headstock if you want any answers.

Steve Sorensen
Jun-20-2010, 11:35pm
Why did I get a "Danny Spurgeon" vibe with this posting?

Mike Bromley
Jun-21-2010, 4:49am
Why did I get a "Danny Spurgeon" vibe with this posting?

Something hinky goin' on here. Too many "wrong details"

ColdBeerGoCubs
Jun-22-2010, 2:13am
You mean that piece of tape?

journeybear
Jun-22-2010, 9:35am
Well, there's that, and the odd and oddly clumsy carving of the pick guard, and the coloration of the binding ... but mostly, it's odd we haven't heard again from the OP, who could clear up a few issues easily enough.

:popcorn:

JEStanek
Jun-22-2010, 11:48am
OP came out of south Florida and the poster was last on yesterday in the morning. Might be they just are new to forums. Scott has his nose pretty tuned to Danny stuff.

Jamie

Mike Bunting
Jun-22-2010, 12:31pm
The OP is only asking for information, he isn't trying to sell this mandolin. Why so quick to impugn his motive, and motive for what?, his post suggests nothing.

journeybear
Jun-22-2010, 4:40pm
I agree. I don't see any need for a rush to judgment, and the Spurgeon comment seems unwarranted. The instrument has other issues, but that's beside the point. I would just like to hear from the OP again and see a close-up pic of the headstock. That was the original question, after all!

jim simpson
Jun-22-2010, 10:52pm
I just thought the headstock was outfitted with some masking tape or medical tape instead of the more traditional black electrical tape. I guess one can alternate tape choices to match the occasion.

mellon
Jun-22-2010, 11:31pm
Here's a closer picture of the headstock. The emblem is metal and has "the gibson" engraved on it.

woodwizard
Jun-23-2010, 12:01am
The only thing that I can tell you is that the metal emblem has a 99.99999% chance of not being original. And the adjustable bridge would not be orignal. Other than that it looks to be an old Gibson A model.

grassrootphilosopher
Jun-23-2010, 4:37am
Whatever this is... got soundclip?

JEStanek
Jun-23-2010, 8:05am
That almost looks like an engraved tailpiece cover glued on there. Looks like a modified old Gibson to me. Would most likely lessed it's resale value. Does it play well and sound nice? If you're new to mandolins, it might be worth while taking it to a luthier for a general inspection and set up. Sometimes the brace inside can get loose and lead to top sinkage. Your instrument is unique. I hope you enjoy it.

Jamie

journeybear
Jun-23-2010, 8:18am
Unique is right! No other one like it in the world. ;) I think that's a custom-made piece, emulating the tailpiece engraving. In my experience the letters on the tailpieces are on an angle, not straight across. I can't help wondering if that's covering up some terribly unsightly ding. I'm also not familiar with this finish; much more common for headstocks to be solid black, as far as I know.

Jim Garber
Jun-23-2010, 10:23am
Someone wanted the Gibson logo on an instrument that did not have one so went to the local jeweler and had an engraved one made. Looks like the nut was replaced too. As others have noted... highly, highly unlikely that Gibson did it, but it still is likely that it is a Gibson mandolin with added "features".

Big Joe
Jun-23-2010, 11:09am
It is certainly, 100% not a Gibson logo put on by the factory.

mellon
Jun-23-2010, 3:01pm
Hi, I've aquired a Gibson Mandolin that has a different (the gibson) emblem on the headstock. Can anyone tell me any info on it.

Thanks for all the input. I think I will take it in to the music shop and see if it needs any repairs.
Thanks again
Steve