PDA

View Full Version : Love Gator picks.

fscotte
Jun-19-2010, 1:54pm
Anyone using these great picks? I'm using the purple one right now and actually picking with one of the rounded corners. Very smooth across the strings and once you develop a nice bevel on them they sounded and feel very nice. And they have the least amount of pick noise of any pick I've used.

I've got a BluePick TP50 too and although nice, it doesn't quite have the gutsy sound the Gator has. I also have an assortment of ts picks of my choosing, but still this little Gator is quite a pick. Try em!

Dick Hutchings
Jun-21-2010, 12:15pm
I've tried them and also like them but I lost them and I'm now using a Cool pick that I really like. If I ever see some Gators I'll probably buy a few more.

I've gotta change my username on this forum.

Jim MacDaniel
Jun-21-2010, 1:38pm
lol -- I've never heard of "Love Gator" picks, so I did a query on them and only came up with this thread -- but I eventually figured out that you love Gator picks. ;)

fscotte
Jun-21-2010, 5:16pm
Well they are essentially the same thing as Tortex picks. Most people call them tortex.

Mandobart
Jun-27-2010, 12:47am
If these are the Dunlop featuring the grinning gator, I love them, too. When I first started using them, it was the blue 1.14 mm that worked best for me. I found myself going for thicker one, to the green 1.5 mm and now the black 2.0 mm. I also like the two rounded points rather than the pointy point. They are easy to grip without having a wierd texture like some of the other Dunlops have. Nothing I've used beats them for sound, grib-ability and price. I've got a handful of various sizes in every case (one mando, 2 OM and one mandocello).

Murphy Slaw
Jul-02-2010, 7:40am
Well they are essentially the same thing as Tortex picks. Most people call them tortex.

In that case.........

Randy Smith
Jul-07-2010, 10:46pm
The 1.5 and 2.0 Gators are my favorite guitar picks because I like using the point of a pick for guitar. Though for mandolin I like a rounded pick (either a Wegen or an old-style Dawg), the rounded side of a Gator will do in a pinch. Gators have a great feel, and I like the sound they get.

fscotte
Jul-08-2010, 6:37am
Sorta like a grungy sound? That's what I hear when using the rounded part of the pick. Fits dawg music quite well.

Randy Smith
Jul-08-2010, 10:37am
Sorta like a grungy sound? That's what I hear when using the rounded part of the pick. Fits dawg music quite well.

Ihave to plead ignorance (unfortunately often required these days)! Yeah, I've loved and used the rounded side, but I've been doing it for so long that I can't describe why I switched. I do like the grungy sond (though Wegens sound different!), and I just can't stand using a pointed pick on a mandolin anymore! I do like those Dawgs on one of the two mandos I've got.

Steve Ostrander
Jul-08-2010, 10:58am
I use JD picks. I've tried the Dawg and the GG but I could never make them work for me.

KYBlues
Jul-12-2010, 11:19pm
I like the Gators as well--better than any of other "cheap" picks I've played. I think I've tried most of them! The way I lose picks, I just can't bear the thought of paying the cash for a Blue Chip, although I'm sure they are great.

I've had good luck finding the Gator picks at Guitar Emporium and recently picked some up when i stopped at Gruhns in Nashville.

Steve Ostrander
Jul-14-2010, 2:15pm
I've used Gators in the past, but lately I've been using the "Rhino" picks.