PDA

View Full Version : Head for the Hills - anyone heard them?

swankerme
Jun-18-2010, 3:47pm
I am relatively new to the bluegrass genre (as well as the mandolin). The first band that hooked me to bluegrass is a local Colorado band known as Head for the Hills. They have a very modern sound, not "country" or "twangy" at all, very catchy rhythms, excellent vocals/lyrics. And some good mandolin ;)

I have attempted to search out many other bands, via Pandora, references, Wikipedia, etc, and so far no other bands quite compare. Maybe I'm biased, maybe my first was the best. Take a listen to them, and if you can recommend any bands I may like, please let me know!

http://www.headforthehillsmusic.com/GoinDown.mp3

thejamdolinplayer
Jun-18-2010, 8:43pm
Check out Yonder Mountain String Band, Greensky Bluegrass. Go on Amazon.com and type it these bands and preview some songs and underneath you will see a section that says customers who bought this also bought these..... hope this helps..

Lachlan
Jul-01-2010, 10:56pm
Steep Canyon Rangers, Michael Cleveland and Flamekeeper, Del McCoury, Sam Bush.

Colorado bands? Hard to beat Hot Rize. Tim O'Brien is a monster mandolin player. (And nearly every other instrument on Earth.) If you want more of a jam band bluegrass type of stuff, find old Leftover Salmon and String Cheese Incident. Elephant Revival. Great American Taxi. All from Colorado. If you want more traditional stuff find Sons and Brothers (they call their music "Westgrass").

Try here: www.coloradobluegrass.org

Enjoy!