PDA

View Full Version : Cherryholmes mandolin player?

FrDNicholas
Jun-15-2010, 3:44pm
Cherryhomes is coming to my town next week. I've listened to a few clips on Youtube, but haven't heard the mandolin player take any solos. Does she, and if so, how prominent is her playing? It seemed like the fiddles were the main instruments.

Jim Broyles
Jun-15-2010, 4:13pm
At about 2:29 she takes a break on Rawhide here:
PMqFOQ8LvTY

MikeEdgerton
Jun-15-2010, 5:24pm
I do believe that at least three members of that family can play the mandolin at some point in a show.

re simmers
Jun-15-2010, 5:52pm
I believe she plays a Buckeye. But the youtube clip does not look like that's what she's playing there.

Bob

Chris Biorkman
Jun-15-2010, 5:56pm
I've seen her with a Gibson Sam Bush.

tburcham
Jun-15-2010, 10:37pm
Gibson Sam Bush when I last saw them replete with broken scroll just like Big Mon!

Mike Snyder
Jun-15-2010, 11:19pm
I'm not suprised that she's broken the headstock. She is in constant motion onstage. They don't work a single mic, but do vocals mostly single mic style, and have the moves down REAL good. It only takes one good bonk into a dreanaught to Monroify that little scroll. Her mando playing has come a long way in the last five years.

f5loar
Jun-15-2010, 11:48pm
Mamma Cherryholmes does indeed play the mandolin quite well in the live shows and has plenty of chop too but I suspect one of the boys is doing the studio breaks and then teaching mom the break for the live showes. She has used a SamBush Gibson everytime I've seen them live. One the greatest family bands to come out in bluegrass with one heck of an entertaining show.

Ivan Kelsall
Jun-16-2010, 12:13am
Sandy (Ma Cherryholmes) plays Mandolin mostly,Skip Cherryholmes (Guitar) & B.J. Cherryholmes (Fiddle) also play Mandolin. I'd have to agree with f5loar on their being one of the greatest family bands around. Chia's singing & her Banjo playing are extraordinary for such a young woman - & she can do both superbly at the same time !!.
I've got all but one of their CD's a it's hard to find a bad track on any of them & i just love their version of "Tallahassee" - a truly terrific band in all respects,
Ivan

re simmers
Jun-16-2010, 7:37am
I'll chime in; They are great. Entertainers of the year in my book, but I don't follow the awards. Have they ever won that..........or even been nominated?

Bob

DannyB
Jun-16-2010, 7:42am
I think Cia should be nominated for Female Vocalist every year! Her voice is awesome, I think my favorite is "He Goes To Church" love that song..My wife is not into bluegrass as much as I am but Cherryholmes is her favorite entertainers with the Grascals as a close second.. Yes they have been nominated and I believe that's a yes on winning as Entertainer of the year, but I'm not positive..If they haven't won it's a crime. I guess I should add even though they are up there on my chart, not my favorite bluegrass act but very close.....

Andy Alexander
Jun-16-2010, 6:09pm
Mamma Cherryholmes does indeed play the mandolin quite well in the live shows and has plenty of chop too but I suspect one of the boys is doing the studio breaks and then teaching mom the break for the live showes. She has used a SamBush Gibson everytime I've seen them live. One the greatest family bands to come out in bluegrass with one heck of an entertaining show.

A few years ago when they were at our place, Sandy was playing a Lebeda. She can play at a professional level but the younger generation can take it beyond that.

45ACP-GDLF5
Jun-17-2010, 12:04am
Both Sandy and B.J. play Gibson Sam Bush mandos. Gibson gave Sandy hers. B.J. bought his. Sandy told me this a couple of years back. They are VERY talented and are super nice as well!

Mike Snyder
Jun-17-2010, 12:15am
They will get out in the campground and jam with the common folks. The kids are very polite, dad is somewhat of a character. The youngest girl has a cannon of a voice. Just a very nice, very talented family.

Ivan Kelsall
Jun-17-2010, 12:59am
I'd have to agree with Danny re.Cia's voice - she is a terrific singer. The majority of my favourite Bluegrass vocalists are female & Cia's certainly in the top 5 along with Carrie Hassler / Amanda Smith / Dale Ann Bradley & Laurie lewis. I think that they came over to the UK once,but i didn't hear of a tour & they certainly didn't visit my area - i'd have crawled there to see 'em !. As for the chance to jam with them,i'd think i'd died & gone to heaven !!.
I just hope that they stick to the music formula that've concocted & keep on pushing out their recordings for us - one of the finest bands around for certain,
Ivan:cool:

Tony Pearce
Jun-17-2010, 10:11am
Saw them at Celtic Connections in Glasgow and they really put on a show. The father had his leg in a cast after an injury he'd incurred earlier in the tour but it didn't affect his performance in the slightest. They played a real variety of styles and plenty of energy. I'd travel some distance to see them perform again.

Mandoviol
Jun-18-2010, 8:53pm
They're coming to Richmond in September, and I'm excited. I saw them last year and they really impressed me. I'm hoping I can interview them for my radio program.

Mandolin Mick
Jun-23-2010, 7:41am
Saw Cherryholmes at Bean Blossom last week. The mom, Sandy, and BJ play the mandolin breaks.