PDA

View Full Version : Recognize this?

Sharon
Jun-12-2010, 6:47pm
My husband's grandfather was given this guitar in the 1920's by a friend who was a traveling salesman. It had previously been used by this friend, so I'm not sure how old it really is. So far, we have not been able to find a similar mandolin. My husband replaced the tuners because one of the old ones was missing but we still have the original ones. Our thought is that it is either home-made (well done) or possibly originally factory made but the gibson metal tail piece added later? There is no paperwork inside.At it's longest and widest points, the mandolin is 24" by 11- 5/8". It has a beautiful clear tone. Any thoughts?

JEStanek
Jun-12-2010, 6:50pm
I have no idea who made that. It looks like a fabulous folk instrument. Looks to be in great shape for its age, too.

Jamie

MikeEdgerton
Jun-12-2010, 7:16pm
It was probably built to fit into a mandolin banjo case. The Gibson tailpiece cover may be worth more than the rest of the instrument. Can you post a picture of the original tuners?

mrmando
Jun-12-2010, 7:29pm
If for some reason you wanted to hold a mandolin upright between your knees while playing it, like a cello, this would be the mandolin to have.

Jim Garber
Jun-13-2010, 11:31am
It has a beautiful clear tone.

Hmmmm... it has a spruce round piece where the bridge lies but that does not seem to be situated over the soundbox, assuming that the triangular area is hollow. I can't imagine that it sounds very loud. I agree with Mike. Sell the tailpiece, replace it with a modern stamped one. it certainly would not affect the value of this oddball in any way.

jim_n_virginia
Jun-13-2010, 5:11pm
Why that reminds me of my old Hennweigh!!! :grin:

big smiley guy
Jun-13-2010, 5:53pm
Hmmmm... it has a spruce round piece where the bridge lies but that does not seem to be situated over the soundbox, assuming that the triangular area is hollow. I can't imagine that it sounds very loud. I agree with Mike. Sell the tailpiece, replace it with a modern stamped one. it certainly would not affect the value of this oddball in any way.

I'm pretty sure the top disc is maple or birch.

F-2 Dave
Jun-13-2010, 6:29pm
OK, Jim. I'll play along. What's a Hennweigh?

Jim Garber
Jun-13-2010, 7:10pm
Actually it sort of looks like a clown face.

Sharon
Jun-13-2010, 7:41pm
The lighter circle is actually a cherry veneer. Confession -some crazy person (my husband) added it over the top of an even lighter (we think) solid cedar. I took a picture of the original tuners. Actually, the sound is not muted. I think that our neighbors would agree that it is very clear and strong!

Jim Garber
Jun-13-2010, 8:29pm
Looks like the original maker scavenged parts from a Gibson back then. BTW I never said that I thought the sound would be muted just not very loud considering the way the instrument is constructed.

MikeEdgerton
Jun-13-2010, 8:38pm
I'm sure the disk is there to raise the bridge. It probably wasn't structural in any way. I was hoping to see some Handel tuners. I don't see how that sound board or back can be vibrating a whole lot but hey, I get surprised every day.

jim_n_virginia
Jun-14-2010, 11:18am
OK, Jim. I'll play along. What's a Hennweigh?

about 3 pounds! :grin:

F-2 Dave
Jun-14-2010, 3:20pm
about 3 pounds! :grin:

Ahh, The classics never get old.

allenhopkins
Jun-14-2010, 9:20pm
Re: Recognize this? Yeah, it looks like a mandolin, only different...

F-2 Dave
Jun-14-2010, 9:51pm
I don't know about the other pictures, but the guy in the middle reminds me of Mr. Bill.

bratsche
Jun-21-2010, 11:11pm
Looks like a monkey face. Needs some ears.

bratsche