PDA

View Full Version : I know no shame...

Buttonwood Bob
Jun-11-2010, 10:47am
...but, should, perhaps. I'm looking for a scenario with which to rest. You may have seen the KM600 on Ebay a while back. Recall it had a chip out of the trim. At the time, and even today, dealers are waiting for the KM600, so I went for it and got it for ~$200 below retail. It's a case of the pig in a poke, gambler's syndrome, featured in a string below. Not mentioned in the description was that the tail piece was a nickle Kentucky...but the 600 has a gold one. Too, the strap button was missing. All in all, I got a nice sounding mando, with case...but an explanation for it's early arrival in CA, when well known dealers were "waiting for shipment", along with the damages and wrong replacement tail piece, is mystifying. My source claimed he got it on Craig's List and knew nothing about mandolins. Dealers sometimes get an early look...and maybe this one was damaged in shipment and the store for which it was intended was told, "It's yours. We'll send another." If you don't envision a better scenario, maybe you know a source for a stock replacement tailpiece and strap button.

Buttonwood Bob
Jun-12-2010, 11:14am
Let me simplify...Who, in this august group, knows of where can get a replacement tail piece, and strap button for my KM600 mandolin of mysterious origin?

EdHanrahan
Jun-22-2010, 2:41pm
A plain gold one from Stew-Mac, for $20 + shipping.
http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Bridges,_tailpieces/Mandolin_tailpieces/Gibson_Style_Mandolin_Tailpiece.html?tab=Details#d etails

Or maybe get the original one electro-plated locally?

Guessing that maybe the "august group" was waiting 'til the appropriate month?

Buttonwood Bob
Jun-22-2010, 3:23pm
Thanks, Eddie/Edwardo,
I was beginning to think they were waiting for an appropriate leap year. I'm grateful. Since it is not urgent, and I've demonstrated that I'm a patient fellow, I shall continue to hope for a little while longer there might be a source for "original equipment" out there in the hinterland. In fact, I have heard from a regular here that he has it "somewhere" and is looking. The thought pleases me as does your kind reply. :)

Big Joe
Jun-22-2010, 11:17pm
The LM600 as nickel hardware and the 700 has gold. You should be able to order the parts you want from any Loar dealer. If you have problems let me know and I will get them for you if at all possible.

Big Joe
Jun-23-2010, 6:29am
I'm sorry...I thought it was the LM 600. I just realized this is the Kentucky KM600. That explains the gold hardware and the Kentucky tailpiece. Sorry about that. Old age and stupidity catching up with me :) .