PDA

View Full Version : Ellis #200

Ben Hodges
Jun-08-2010, 2:57pm
Ellis #200

I took delivery of this incredible instrument about a month ago and then crawled into a hole with it. I'm still in the hole....I can't put it down.......it's mandolin perfection! I wanted to show y'all some pics and tell you if you ever get by Fiddler's Green in Austin, I'll let you play it (I'll supply a bib if you're wearing overalls).

Hopefully this works.......
Ben

JEStanek
Jun-08-2010, 3:05pm
Stunning. I love that back figure. Enjoy it.

Jamie

Ivyguitar
Jun-08-2010, 3:18pm
Can you give a comparison between the ellis and your old Altman?

Skip Kelley
Jun-08-2010, 3:28pm
Ben, that Ellis is sweet! I love the back!!

Steve Sorensen
Jun-08-2010, 3:30pm
Wow. Wow. Wow. In a way, I wish I'd never seen that beauty . . .

sgarrity
Jun-08-2010, 3:40pm
That's a beauty for sure!

Chuck Naill
Jun-08-2010, 3:46pm
Ben,

Congratulations on your new mandolin. It is quite exceptional in appearance and having played an Ellis I also can bet its a pleasure to play and hear.

chuck

GRW3
Jun-08-2010, 3:56pm
I have had a chance to play it, it's very, very good. I have also played Tom Ellis's personal played in mandolin so I have an idea where Ben's mandolin is going and that's a silly good place.

SternART
Jun-08-2010, 4:20pm
ummmmmm quilted........

pchristi
Jun-08-2010, 4:28pm
Incredibly sweet! Congratulations Ben.

citycountryguy
Jun-08-2010, 7:28pm
Just gorgeous. And I already wanted one so bad I can taste it...beautiful.

papa willie
Jun-08-2010, 8:24pm
Hey Ben,
Does it have ghs strings?

F-2 Dave
Jun-08-2010, 9:39pm
Just beautiful. I've never heard an Ellis in person, but I'm a great admirer of Tom's mandolins.

hank
Jun-08-2010, 9:53pm
It's All Good!!!! Congratulations!!!!!

PhilTod
Jun-08-2010, 10:13pm
Yikes! The back of this mandolin is beyond stunning-what a one in a million piece of wood! Congrats and enjoy.

Chris Biorkman
Jun-08-2010, 10:17pm
Wow, congrats on the milestone, Tom. Truly stunning.

Andrew DeMarco
Jun-08-2010, 10:26pm
Ben -- my gosh, what a beaut! You probably don't remember me but I came in a few months ago -- I was planning to move down to Austin.

Unfortunately I won't be harassing you at Fiddler's Green because of a change of plans, but damnnnnnnnnnnnnnn....

grassrootphilosopher
Jun-09-2010, 4:41am
Ben,

nice mando, can we have soundclips/video? If you could post a comparison between Altman and Ellis (preferably with soundclip/video).

I especially like the fern-flowerpot.

frankenstein
Jun-09-2010, 7:34am
Awesome ! congrats.

citycountryguy
Jun-09-2010, 8:06am
I've played an Ellis F--even the new ones sound what my spouse called "ancient." They begin with great character, so I can only imagine where they go from there. That's why I want one--almost had my hands on one until life intervened, but I'm still planning...

B. T. Walker
Jun-09-2010, 8:21am
Ben handed #200 to me the last time I was in Fiddler' Green, and <Homer Simpson-esque drool> ooohhh, sweet. Congratulations on such a satisfying mandolin acquisition. Like every Ellis I've ever played it is just fantastic. Brand-spang new it has a nice woody chop, and the tone is ethereal, the notes seeming to hang on sweetly forever. And that beautiful quilted back! Whew! George, do you think it came from the same batch of wood as Tom's "Flaming Lips"?

Dan Margolis
Jun-09-2010, 8:38am
Ohhhhhhhhhhh......!!!!

Kevin Knippa
Jun-09-2010, 9:40am
Ben's old Altman isn't even a mandolin compared to this new Ellis.

FWIW, I licked it the first time I saw it (before it was strung up and when Ben wasn't around).

Also, I think Ben is a D'Addario brand snob and has restrung it with J-74's in lieu of Tom's GHS set.

It's not nearly as good as #141 (which is my Ellis A, which has been played every day for the last year) but it has promise.

Doug Edwards
Jun-09-2010, 11:57am
Very nice, Ben. I'll have to check it out when I bring out your armrest order.

Jake Wildwood
Jun-11-2010, 9:48am
Nice'n. Now you're gonna have to play the heck out of it and ruin the finish! :)

doc holiday
Jun-11-2010, 10:37am
Just stunning! I tried to check one out at Fiddlers Green when I was in Austin last year. None to be had....I should have perserved and looked up Tom Ellis. If there's another mandolin in my future it's and Ellis...the two i've heard in person have been memorable.

Cullowheekid
Jun-11-2010, 2:28pm
Is'nt Billy Bright picking an Ellis mandolin. They cut. I'm getting very interested in that tone. E

Chip Booth
Jun-13-2010, 9:17am
Where does he get that wood ???

jealbe49
Jun-13-2010, 5:20pm
Congrats Ben, Hope you found a good home for your Altman...

Chris Biorkman
Jun-13-2010, 5:27pm
FWIW, I licked it the first time I saw it (before it was strung up and when Ben wasn't around).

I'd be pretty hacked if someone licked my mandolin. Lol

oldwave maker
Jun-13-2010, 6:03pm
Licked it? First time Tom handed me one of his I tried to eat it!

Paul Statman
Jun-13-2010, 9:49pm
Gorgeous~ I've never played an Ellis I didn't like..

blmjr
Jun-14-2010, 1:15pm
Ben,

You are the proud owner of the awesomest mandolin on the planet.

Use it's powers wisely.

That Altman of yours was no slouch either. Heck, my Kentucky 1000 sounds like a million bucks when you play it.

Enjoy every note from your new baby.

papawhisky
Jun-20-2010, 8:54am
Congratulations! That is a real beauty. I am the proud owner of #185 which I got back in March. When I first heard an Ellis, I knew it was the sound I wanted. Extra bonus--the sound continues to mature. You own a great mando--congrats!

docham
Jun-20-2010, 3:57pm
Stand by, we're trying to get a video up here.

docham
Jun-20-2010, 4:07pm
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjH4ON957Vw

Video is on youtube, take a look.

grassrootphilosopher
Jun-21-2010, 3:46am
Thanks for the video, you can hear that itīs a good mandolin. Have you got a video/soundclip playing your Altman thatīs in the same line? Is it sold yet?

Here we go with the video:

JjH4ON957Vw

Linds
Jul-17-2010, 5:08pm
Oh, wow, Ben! It's gorgeous! I was wondering when you were getting it. I've been needing to come by the shop for festival/camp supplies (picks and strings) and a way-overdue dose of Fiddler's Green awesomeness. May have to come by and drool over the new Ellis, too!

hank
Jul-18-2010, 11:48am
What happened to the video?

Psyberbilly
Aug-02-2010, 3:18pm
I was fortunate to be allowed to play Ben's mandolin weekend before last for 6 or 7 songs at a jam session while he played my Passernig A model I had purchased from him at Fiddler's Green . Talk about sensory overload ! Listening to my new mandolin in Ben's capable hands while trying to absorb every last drop of the experience of playing this magnificent Ellis , I'm getting 1/4 lb. goose bumps remembering it now . Ben is blessed with an abundance of talent and a very fine mandolin , could not happen to a nicer guy !

Gerry Cassidy
Aug-02-2010, 6:16pm
Wow! :disbelief:

That picture of the back is now my work PC's desktop background...

Jonas
Aug-03-2010, 4:38am
Ben, is this the mandolin I got to play at Fiddler's Green back in early July when I was visiting Austin? That particular mandolin sounded great! I had a good time playing with you! (If that was you...)

I have a video clip of our jam that I could upload if it would be of interest.

Oggy
Aug-03-2010, 4:52am
I have a video clip of our jam that I could upload if it would be of interest.

Please do!

Jonas
Aug-04-2010, 2:23am
Ok here it is in all it's glory:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dFRXwDtxDEg

Jonas
Aug-04-2010, 2:29am
I played another Ellis as well... :cool:

Oggy
Aug-04-2010, 4:04am
So... you just put on a recording of Compton/Long and pretend to play - that's what you did, huh?

Just kidding, great playing, both of you! That Ellis surely sounds great.

Fiddler3
Aug-04-2010, 3:38pm
Had the pleasure of getting to play #200 a couple of weeks ago. Awesome instrument! Thanks again, Ben. I just mentioned I had played an older Ellis at the Old Towne Picking Parlor last year and Ben grinned and pulled out #200 from behind the counter. What a player. My son lives in San Antone, so we make a few trips a year. I'll be back. Thanks again, your hospitality was great.

hank
Aug-04-2010, 3:39pm
Alright Jonas & Ben. Great test drive.

Dan Margolis
Oct-02-2010, 6:39am
Ben, I'll be in Austin in November. Does the invitation still hold? Dan

Scott Tichenor
Oct-02-2010, 10:21am
At IBMA right now and Tom has an A5 in the booth that's just outrageous. There'll all very good but this one A model outstrips everything he has (my opinion). Think there are three people in line to buy it at the end of the show. I called a friend back home about it (one of our forum members) and he may be in the list at the end by now. Great stuff.

Dan Margolis
Oct-04-2010, 9:17pm
That's exciting. I bought one of those A's. Even if it's not "the one", it'll still be great.

Dan Margolis
Dec-19-2010, 12:34pm
I played Ben's Ellis last month, and I'll tell you, it sings. Ben is a great guy and a super player.