PDA

View Full Version : Together Again

frankenstein
Jun-08-2010, 3:20am
I'd like to thank Danny Bishop and Tom Ellis and crew for this... 2009 IBMA display mandolin.. Not the best pics but i'd rather play it than photograph it..

frankenstein
Jun-08-2010, 3:26am
Now together again with it's other IBMA partner.. For those who'd care to know my opinion is that the A has a more immediate tone and the F has a hint of distance in the tone.. I'm talking subtle degrees here, similar but slightly different.. Absolutely fabulous instruments in every way.. :mandosmiley:

grassrootphilosopher
Jun-08-2010, 3:54am
It looks good. So you like to play it more than to take pictures of it? I understand that. How about you post a soundclip? IŽd like that.

frankenstein
Jun-14-2010, 5:47pm
Well, that was putting lipstick on a pig..

Dale Ludewig
Jun-14-2010, 6:37pm
That's funny. I don't know your playing but was talking with Tom a couple days ago and this reunion was discussed.
Congratulations. I'm sure they're happy to back with each other!
:)

F-2 Dave
Jun-14-2010, 6:58pm
Two beauties. I'm not really a big F5 guy, but that Ellis F is one of the prettiest things I've ever seen. Gorgeous torch and wire too.

MandoNicity
Jun-14-2010, 7:03pm
That back plate wood is amazing!

JR

jim_n_virginia
Jun-15-2010, 1:47am
WOW! the back on the F-5 is BEAUTIFUL! I think I see an image in it! LOL!

frankenstein
Jun-15-2010, 10:35pm
Yes ! The F-5 is one of the most stunning looking instruments i've ever seen and it sounds FANTASTIC as does the A-5.. Thanks for the positive feedback, my opinions may be annoying but my choices are mine..I like everyones different thoughts on mandolins.. You CAN hear the difference in a high end mandolin especially while recording, they cut through without a shrill tone and sit in there own own musical space without getting lost in the abundance of sound.. Heres a few more pics with my Grandpa's old violin which i guess started my interest in mandolins in the first place.. be well.:cool:

frankenstein
Jul-20-2010, 2:51am
Here ya go Olaf, in "D' the tail end of a tune i'm working on. Mandolin is just a bit of fill, no pick just fingers. not bad considering it's just a year old..

grassrootphilosopher
Jul-20-2010, 4:17am
frankenstein,

nice of you to post a soundclip. And as far as I could hear, your mandolin sounds really nice. I had to strain my ears to single out the mando in the mix and blend out the reverb etc. in my mind a bit.

frankenstein
Jul-20-2010, 8:09am
Did you single out my dog squeezing her ball in the background as well ? Try headphones..

JEStanek
Jul-20-2010, 8:49am
I thought that sqeek at 1:00-1:01 was just more creative precussion. It played to good effect. ;) The mandolin does sound nice and sure looks good.

Jamie