PDA

View Full Version : Korean made Kentucky KM-675 ?

jmcardle
Jun-06-2010, 10:27am
Hi folks,
I just took a Kentucky KM-675 on trade. This one was made in Korea (2000 I think), instead of in China like today's models are. It's plain to see that there are some significant cosmetic differences between the Korean and Chinese KM-675 models. Does anyone know if there are any significant structural differences?

Also, is it true that the Korean models had a higher retail price 10 years ago (about $1000) than the Chinese models do today (found for $750 new at Janet Davis)?

Just curious, because if it's worth a chunk of change I might have to throw it up on the classifieds.
Thanks,
Jeff

http://i803.photobucket.com/albums/yy319/jmcardle34/stuff/IMG_3319.jpg

Folkmusician.com
Jun-06-2010, 6:27pm
Hi Jeff,

Nice mandolin you have there.

I want to say that these retailed for $1295 or somewhere thereabouts in 2000. This would have been just before the switch to China. When Production moved to China, the retail price dropped to $895 (with current retail at $995). They added an "S" to the model (that was later dropped off again). At this point, the mandolin had basically the same specs. I think they changed the truss rod cover. I am not sure what else. Quality took a hit when they moved to China and then slowly improved over the years. It would have been around 2007 that there were some changes made. The obvious one being the new fingerboard extension. The last few years has seen major improvements accross the Kentucky Line.