PDA

View Full Version : Hard or Flight Case for a Tenortone?

Ptarmi
Jun-05-2010, 3:57am
Hi,

Has anyone found a good new Hard Case or Flight Case which has proved to be ideally suited for a Tenortone?

You see, mine still has to cross the Atlantic! ;)

I actually have Jamie on the case :grin: ... if you see what I mean, but I'm just curious to hear how other folks here, have resolved this problem.

Hey, have you noticed how time STANDS STILL when you are waiting for a new instrument! :(

Cheers
Dick

David Hansen
Jun-05-2010, 8:12am
Dick

I have looked into getting a hard case for my Tenortone but haven't got around to getting one yet. Cedar Creek Cases makes custom made hard shell cases and of course Calton makes a great flight case. Unfortunately with either one you'll be waiting even longer to get your Tenortone.

Eddie Sheehy
Jun-05-2010, 5:03pm
Wouldn't a Classical Guitar Case suffice?

David Hansen
Jun-05-2010, 6:34pm
That's a good idea Eddie, that would be way cheaper than a custom case. My tenortone fits in my Caltom case which was made for a OM guitar so any OM size hard case would do. You would have to fill in the missing bits with packing and such.

http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=59327

Eddie Sheehy
Jun-05-2010, 7:55pm
Is your tenortone smaller than your Octar David?

Ptarmi
Jun-05-2010, 8:33pm
Thanks for the ideas guys.

Just for the record though, Jamie has suggested this one & it looks ideal to me, so I've told him to go ahead.

MARTIN MINI GUITAR CASE (http://elderly.com/accessories/items/GCMA-MINI.htm)

Tenortone dimensions:
21" Scale Length
32" Total Length
1 1/4" Nut Width
Upper Bout 8"
Lower Bout 11"

Martin Mini Case dimensions:
35-1/2" long,
16-1/2" body length,
8-1/2" upper bout,
7-1/2" waist,
11-1/4" lower bout,
4-1/2" deep.

Incidentally, has anyone here actually seen these cases up close?

Cheers
Dick

mandroid
Jun-06-2010, 11:48am
I thought SKB made a case for Baby Tailors, it's ABS type shell then.
might be adequate, perhaps, ... add more foam ...

kmmando
Jun-07-2010, 5:09am
I got one of the baby Taylor hard(-ish) solid cases and managed to fit a National single cone resonator into it by sawing out bits of the interior polystyrene - it's a pretty good fit and a great size to carry round. Recommened, but I've never put it down the hold - never want to actually!

Kevin

mandroid
Jun-07-2010, 10:17am
Bookmarked these a while back , from a previous discussion , It's a Case to put your case into .
so may add protection, like double boxing does for regular shipping. seems to be using Coroplast and dense foam.
http://www.casextreme.com/index.html

EdSherry
Jun-07-2010, 9:30pm
Be aware that most hardshell cases are not "flight cases" in the traditional sense. Much different level of protection.

If you're flying, you can dramatically increase the level of protection by getting a shipping carton and securely packing the instrument. Details here:

http://www.frets.com/FRETSPages/Musician/GenMaint/Packing/packing1.html

Look at both pages.

Ptarmi
Jun-08-2010, 5:14pm
I got one of the baby Taylor hard(-ish) solid cases and managed to fit a National single cone resonator into it by sawing out bits of the interior polystyrene - it's a pretty good fit and a great size to carry round. Recommened, but I've never put it down the hold - never want to actually!

Kevin

Kevin, I must admit, I winced as I read your post, cause I thought you were about to tell us you were .. sawing off bits of your Guitar, to make it fit! :disbelief:

:))

To be serious though, I must agree with you about the hold.
I'd say it's not a safe place for instruments, at the best of times.

Henry McCullough, who used to play with Wings, lives near us here & he told me of the time he sat in an airport building, watching them load up his next flight, then as the hydraulic door was closing, his Guitar case suddenly appeared in the gap & proceeded to be crushed, mangled & totally destroyed by the door! :crying:

Not a happy thought!
Thankfully it's not something that'll ever worry me though, cause I don't fly! :cool:

Cheers
Dick

GarY Nava
Jun-26-2010, 8:34am
Gator makes a nice case for a ¾ size guitar that I’ve used for a parlour guitar.
Gator model; GWE-ACOU-3/4
Cheers Gary
www.navaguitars.co.uk

Cary Fagan
Jul-06-2010, 2:55pm
I emailed cedar creek about making a case. $300. (More if you get fancy.) I think that another hundred might be worth it to have a case that actually fits.

jsmandolin
Jul-08-2010, 11:02pm
Hey Everybody,
Martin makes a case that fits perfectly! Check out your local music store that has access to Martin cases.
I'll have to search the exact case it is and get back with you in the next couple days.
John Simmons

Ptarmi
Jul-09-2010, 4:50am
Hey Everybody,
Martin makes a case that fits perfectly! Check out your local music store that has access to Martin cases.
I'll have to search the exact case it is and get back with you in the next couple days.
John Simmons

John, isn't that the Martin case that I already gave a link to, above?

i.e.: Martin Mini Guitar Case (http://elderly.com/accessories/items/GCMA-MINI.htm)

Cheers,
Dick

jsmandolin
Jul-11-2010, 10:50pm
Yes! And it is a great case; solid and well made. The instrument is held snuggly, and I don't fret (no pun intended) about the instrument flopping around inside the case. I was so pleased with the case. Jamie Dougan supplied a very nice padded soft case with the instrument, and I like it too.

I live in Colorado and the humidity is very low! So I've used various small plastic boxes and cases and pieced of household sponges as humidifiers for our instruments. The boxes that you buy fly fishing hooks and flies work well. I've just punched holes in the plastic to let the moisture in the sponge humidify the case. One that I have fits perfectly in the bottom end of the case where the end pin goes. The Tenortone responds to humidity changes, so keeping it humidified in the case is important.

Ptarmi
Jul-12-2010, 10:04am
Yes! And it is a great case; solid and well made. The instrument is held snuggly, and I don't fret (no pun intended) about the instrument flopping around inside the case. I was so pleased with the case. Jamie Dougan supplied a very nice padded soft case with the instrument, and I like it too.

I live in Colorado and the humidity is very low! So I've used various small plastic boxes and cases and pieced of household sponges as humidifiers for our instruments. The boxes that you buy fly fishing hooks and flies work well. I've just punched holes in the plastic to let the moisture in the sponge humidify the case. One that I have fits perfectly in the bottom end of the case where the end pin goes. The Tenortone responds to humidity changes, so keeping it humidified in the case is important.

Luckily for me, I live in Ireland, so one thing I certainly don't need .. is a humidifier! ;)

Good to know you are so pleased with both cases though.
I know I'll find good uses for both of them.
Cheers
Dick