PDA

View Full Version : Collings/Nugget Tim O'Brien

Dan Cohen
May-28-2010, 5:30pm
I'm considering making a trade for my 2004 Tim O'Brien model for a Rozawood Octave Mandolin 2 model with a few extras. We both want to make the trade but are unsure of the relative values. I'm thinking that the TOB is in the $7,000 to $8,000 range and the OM is in the $4,500 range. The problem is that there are no TOBs for sale and I can't fine any recent sales although I've seen ask prices in the range that I mentioned.

I'm hoping that this knowledgeable crowd can share some insight for us to consider as we discuss this.

Dan

Dfyngravity
May-28-2010, 6:22pm
Does your TOB have a varnish finish? I believe, if I am not mistaken the first batch may have been lacquer finish and sold for around $5500, but the varnish models sold for around $7000.

Dan Cohen
May-28-2010, 7:08pm
Ben,
I'm not sure if it's varnish but I think so. It's no 12 from 2004. In any event the 2004 selling price may not be that relevant to the 2010 value. I've emailed Collings with the question. As I understand it the finish was done at the Collings shop.

Russ Jordan
May-28-2010, 8:27pm
I was the original owner of #26, which was the earliest numbered varnished TOB. There were a total of 35 TOB.s made, only 3 had varnish. A lacquer TOB recently traded hands for $6000.

I think the availability of varnished Collings and Ellis A models has hurt the TOB values some, particularly in this economy.

64lusso
Jun-09-2010, 8:44pm
Dang Russ, you must be well connected! I have #35 and it just arrived from Mike two weeks ago!

Joe Parker
Jun-11-2010, 9:16am
There is one in the classifieds for $11,500!

Dan Cohen
Jun-11-2010, 10:49am
Just to confirm I got an email back from Collings confirming that mine has the lacquer finish. Mine is #12. It will be interesting to see how the one in the classifieds does at that price level.

Mandobar
Jun-12-2010, 5:06pm
#3 is at acousticmusicworks.com at $7500.

Luna Pick
Jun-12-2010, 5:56pm
Thanks for the price point/reality check, I think I'll lower #2. It's tricky trying to price instruments like this. I had some pretty good intel where to price it, but only the market knows, right all?

chuckinnyc
Feb-02-2023, 9:46am
Ben,
I'm not sure if it's varnish but I think so. It's no 12 from 2004. In any event the 2004 selling price may not be that relevant to the 2010 value. I've emailed Collings with the question. As I understand it the finish was done at the Collings shop.

Hi, Dan. I’m not sure if you remember much of the details, but I’m considering buying #12 Nugget/Collings Tim O’B and wonder if you could give me any idea of how it sounded, compared to a Collings, Nugget, or any other high-quality mandolin. I believe it has a lacquer finish from this earlier thread, but that doesn’t necessarily mean it won’t sound good. Please share your thoughts, if you would. Thanks! Chuck

dogstar31
Mar-21-2024, 9:07am
Hi, Dan. I’m not sure if you remember much of the details, but I’m considering buying #12 Nugget/Collings Tim O’B and wonder if you could give me any idea of how it sounded, compared to a Collings, Nugget, or any other high-quality mandolin. I believe it has a lacquer finish from this earlier thread, but that doesn’t necessarily mean it won’t sound good. Please share your thoughts, if you would. Thanks! Chuck

I'm curious if you bought #12. If so, curious about cost/value .. thinking of selling #6. Thx, Jeff.

Dan Cohen
Apr-09-2024, 8:16am
Chuck,
Sorry but my memory from back then fails me.
Dan