PDA

View Full Version : New Member

VaFrank
Feb-12-2004, 4:51pm
Hi folks:

I am a new member and this is my first post. I currently play guitar, flatpick(bluegrass and old country tunes)and am learning to fingerpick. I have a Martin HD-28 and D-18GE. I am seriously considering purchasing a mandolin and learning to play. I have done some lurking on this site and research on others in regard to mandolins. This is an excellent site! I really appreciate how well Mandooin Cafe is set up and managed. Thank you.

As a fledgling wanna be I have many questions but will limit this post to a few. The mandolin that catches my eye is the Gibson F-9. I love the plain look and brown color. Obviously, I have not heard one played and realize that looks ain't necessarily where it's at. Have any of you played one, and if so will you share your thoughts and/or comparisons to other mandolins of similar cost/quality.

I know my amateur status will shine with this comment! I just purchased the new Tony Rice cd, The Bluegrass Guitar Collection and love the sound of Doyle Lawson's mandolin. I had not heard of Doyle and while listening to the cd his mandolin really stood out. I immediately went to the cd case and looked on the cover to see who was playing that wonderful sounding mandolin. The highs ring and sing and the mids and bass are woody. Now that's my idea of how a mandolin should sound.

I know that I'm probably talking apples and oranges re: the F-9 and the mandolin that Doyle is playing however, hopefully this will give you an idea of what I think I like in a mandolin.

Price? Well, I not sure. $1,500 to $2,500. Any input will be very much appreciated.

Frank