PDA

View Full Version : Classic JAG, by Jimmy Gaudreau

AlanN
May-26-2010, 9:30am
Been listening to this 1989 release, thanks to (finally learning how to use) my usb turntable. A great, low-key affair, with Wyatt Rice, Rickie Simpkins, Bill Emerson, Mark Schatz, with Lou Reid (Pyrtle) on harmony vocals. Several JG original mandolin tunes, plus some not-overbaked vocal tunes. Jimmy's playing is full of his signature licks and ideas. He even reprises the old CG tune Come Back Home.

Jimmy is da man.

mingusb1
Jun-23-2010, 10:43pm
Hey Alan, I've been listening to a live recording of a set (apparently in the rain) of JD Crowe with Gaudreau. The record quality is OK but the songs and tunes are excellent. Gaudreau does Red Rocking Chair and Dina. His licks are wild. I have no clue where or when it was recorded. Whitley sings Tennessee Blues and it's so sweet.

Z

re simmers
Jun-24-2010, 7:45am
Sounds like that live recording JD & New South did with Keith doing the Lester Flatt Martha White stuff. That's a good one. I can't remember the album title.

AlanN
Jun-24-2010, 8:08am
That would be Live In Japan, a solid bg record, from about 1979, on Rounder (I believe). Not to be confused with Holiday In Japan, a much-coveted JD Crowe and NS release, 1976, which featured the original NS - Skaggs, Rice, Flux. I remember at a bg festival in the late 80's, the record guy wanted $50 for the vinyl.