PDA

View Full Version : c.1915 Vega-built Schmick "Lyric" Banjo Mando

Jake Wildwood
May-25-2010, 11:04pm
Here are some photos of a Vega-built banjo mandolin I just finished up work on. Really a lovely sound with that typical superlative Vega playability and feel. New bridge, otherwise original. Nice 13 3/4" scale length, too.

You can find more photos and writeup at by clicking here -- it'll take you to my blog (http://antebelluminstruments.blogspot.com/2010/05/c1915-vega-built-schmick-lyric-banjo.html).

Jill McAuley
May-26-2010, 10:26am
Lovely!

Cheers,
Jill

Jake Wildwood
May-26-2010, 1:32pm
Thanks Jill!

Tavy
May-27-2010, 10:54am
Nice one Jake - two questions for you - looks like the tuners are actually bushed on that one is that correct? Also do you have a sound clip or video of that one anywhere - I've always been curious to hear what these sound like!

Cheers, John.

Jake Wildwood
May-28-2010, 11:58am
John: Thanks!

Tuners are just standard-style mando tuners from the period...

But here's a sound clip for you! (click here) (http://thewildwoodflower.com/box/schmick.mp3)

Tavy
May-28-2010, 1:56pm
Jake: thanks for the clip, that's amazing - a really woody, mellow sound - most un-banjo like!

Maybe I'll have to try one of these banjo mandolins myself - any tips for spotting good/bad ones?

Thanks, John.

Tom Mylet
May-28-2010, 2:41pm
Thanks for the photo of the Schmick...I'm a big fan. Schmick was based in my home town, Camden, NJ.

In fact, I not only have Lyric/Schmick banjo-mandolin but have 2 Schmick tenor, 2 five strings, a plectrum and a banjo-guitar.

The tenors are great for Irish, etc. They're all well built and I love the whole top tension idea.

Tom Mylet

Jake Wildwood
May-28-2010, 10:21pm
John: Part of the greatness to the sound is Vega workmanship. The other part is setup -- I use a standard mandolin-style bridge for flattop, then cut it to the right height. It's a wide rosewood bridge. If you use a standard small, thin banjo bridge the head is less stable = more tuning issues and because of mandolin tension also = much harsher tone. As far as good banjo mandolins? Vegas are all excellent, Weymanns are also excellent, and Lange-built ones are pretty good, too. Heavier, better-built rims help with banjomando tone. Essentially -- don't opt for anything flimsy and be prepared to tinker with setup until you get it right. And ALWAYS mute the extra string length from the bridge to the tailpiece. If you leave it unmuted you'll get a heck of a lot of ugly overtones. I personally like openback banjomandos better, too, as they'll have a mellower tone in general. A lot of the resonatored models are built for pure volume.

Tom: Impressive collection! I like Schmick's updated zither-banjo style rim/resonator/tonering design. It has plenty of mass yet is lightweight and provides great response and warmth. It's like having the benefit of the openback sound but projected forward. Very cool stuff. And yes, top-tension setup is a huge boon... easy to adjust (no forward/backward flipping) and keeps those darn hooks off your lap.

Jill McAuley
May-28-2010, 10:29pm
Thanks for posting that soundclip Jake - it sounds awesome!

Cheers,
Jill

bmac
May-29-2010, 12:21pm
Maybe folks will think twice about badmouthing banjo mandolins after hearing this one. Remarkably nice tone!

Jake Wildwood
May-31-2010, 8:36am
Bart: I think so! If setup right, banjo mandos can be really pretty instruments. Often the heads are too tight, the bridges too thin, and the extra string length isn't muted, so they sound raucous and harsh.

hank
May-31-2010, 9:40am
Here's a nice tenor @ Elderly. http://www.elderly.com/vintage/items/80U-2219.htm

hank
May-31-2010, 9:53am
I have a friend who owns an old mystery mandolin with the same ring of sound holes but without the banjo part. It's all wood, it has a great tone and has a lot of ching & sustain. Plays and sounds more oval hole-ish than ff-ish. I'll see if he can make a photo or two.