PDA

View Full Version : Red Lined!!!

tchr5150
May-24-2010, 8:14pm
So...I'm on the verge of upgading from my rover rm-75 and have been stalking the classifieds and looking at some local shops. I went into San Diego Old Time Music (great people and very helpful) and played several mandolins including some vintage gibson oval holes, a few eastmans and even a collings. Finally I pulled a red line traveller off the wall and gave it a shot. Wow...I was amazed by the sweet tone of this "travel" mandolin and at a price that was much less than my other choices.
I then made the mistake of going to the Red Line web site and seeing all the choices they have! They have some really beautiful instruments at amazing prices!
Have any of you had the experience of planning to buy one mando and then suddenly you find one (even a much less expensive one) that just feels right? Also...anyone that has a red line feel free to chime in.

JEStanek
May-24-2010, 8:35pm
It's great when you find an instrument that speaks to you. I'm also a fan of flat tops. They have unique voices of their own. I've seen and held but didn't really play a Red Line Traveller last fall (it was a lefty). Flat tops have less carving time than archtops so they can cost less but sound wonderful. I wouldn't consider the Traveller a mere travel instrument. That's a real mandolin and can do a real mandolin's job.

Jamie

jim_n_virginia
May-24-2010, 8:45pm
oh man you got it (MAS) bad! LOL!

Big Joe
May-25-2010, 10:02am
I've got two in stock. Great little mandolins made by a great guy and cafe member. You can see them on my website. They are not a traditional bluegrass mandolin, but they are just fun instruments to play without breaking the bank! Well built and look good, and besides all that they sound good.