PDA

View Full Version : Washburn Re-issue Vintage Parlor Guitars?

northfolk
May-24-2010, 7:36pm
I am not sure if this the right forum for this; but has anyone had any experiences with the Washburn Re-issue (125th Anniversary) Vintage Parlor Guitars? I have not played or seen one in person, but they sure do look kinda interesting? Anybody? Thanks. :mandosmiley:~o)

Hans
May-24-2010, 8:04pm
Well, they are made in Indonesia, and you can get one for 400 bucks. That ought to tell you something...
I do prefer mine and it's oak!:grin:

http://i723.photobucket.com/albums/ww234/ivoroid/1-16.jpg

http://i723.photobucket.com/albums/ww234/ivoroid/6-6.jpg

northfolk
May-24-2010, 8:39pm
Wow, that is a real beauty. I bet that cost more than $400? I'll bet you build that? Just out of curiosity, what would something like that sell for? Thanks.

MikeEdgerton
May-24-2010, 9:41pm
Here is what I was told was one of the prototypes for the parlours that they were selling about 20 years ago that were made in Japan and then Korea if I'm not mistaken. This one was supposedly made in the US, I have no idea by who. There are no markings otherwise on it and honestly, it had a few flaws in the finish. I walked into the store that had it and bought it off the wall just because it was a fun guitar. Sounds great, rosewood back and sides, I have no idea what kind. I'll also note that I had some hair in that picture.

GDAE
May-24-2010, 9:49pm
I have a friend who had one...it's one of the nicest sounding guitars I've ever heard. However, I understand that they are pretty inconsistent in their quality, so others may not be anywhere near as good. If my friend would sell his, I'd be all over it in a second.

Hans
May-25-2010, 5:01am
Mike, I'll bet that's a different model than what I saw offa google. It said plywood and Indonesia.
Northfolk guy, yea, they are handbuilt (by me) and quite a bit more than the Washburns...

evanreilly
May-25-2010, 4:18pm
I bought a Washburn 1892 Re-Issue Model R306 about 20 years ago on a whim. I had been looking for a small-body 12-fret & this one looked pretty solid.
Upon later inspection, with a mirror at home, I found that the holes for the strings all had missed the bridgeplate.
I returned the guitar and received a replacement.
I like it very much and it is my 'beater' guitar. It closely resembles the original issue, but is 'clunkier' overall.. the inlay, bridge, etc. But I can pound on it like I am sure an original would not like!
It is a very pretty little guitar & sounds good as well. I suspect it may be a laminate back & sides, but the top is very straight grained cedar or spruce; I am not sure which it is. The finish has proven indestructible; no pickmarks!

Flattpicker
May-25-2010, 6:41pm
The modern Washburn parlor series vary wildly. The best I've seen are the ones that were priced in the low 4 figures. I had a student with a solid wood (Rosewood back and sides) model that was easily as good as my 100-year-old Braz. Washburn parlor.
Maybe better.
The model before that was in the mid-3 figures and was a lot of bang for the buck. It had a narrower nut and I don't think it had solid back and sides (memory might be failing me here). They are great little travel guitars.

My recollection of the earlier ones (from the 70's?) was that they looked a lot spiffier than they sounded.

catmandu2
May-25-2010, 6:49pm
Hope it's not too oft-topic...but I find that the Quebec-produced Godin -- Art & Lutherie ami -- makes a very nice parlor for very little money. Many folks like the B.C.-produced Larivee parlor.

MikeEdgerton
May-25-2010, 10:43pm
Mike, I'll bet that's a different model than what I saw offa google. It said plywood and Indonesia.
Northfolk guy, yea, they are handbuilt (by me) and quite a bit more than the Washburns...

Yeah Hans, this one is different. It's funny, whomever built it wasn't real good with the herringbone trim. Beyond that it's pretty decent. Great sounding. After they built this model they started building a very similar model (not quite the same) overseas. They weren't the same either. Honestly this one plays a heck of lot better than the two or three Washburn and other Lyon and Healy parlour guitars that went through here.

northfolk
May-25-2010, 11:03pm
The one I am looking at claims to be all solid woods. It is also a limited production of 250? I don't know this for a fact; just what I am being told? I really like the looks of the vintage case that comes with it as well. If I get one I will report back? Thanks. :mandosmiley:~o)

MikeEdgerton
May-26-2010, 7:39am
Post a link, I'd like to see the case.

Oliver R
May-26-2010, 11:19am
I bought one of Ebay a few months ago and was expecting to be disapointed when it arived.
I was actually far from disapointed, more delighted to be honest!
It's very nice.. even though it is made in Indonesia (whatever that matters) :confused:
Mine has solid Trembisi back and sides (similar to mahogany) and a solid spruce top.
The build quality is good and the inlay is well done.
Tuners are a bit challenging but they can be swapped at some point perhaps.
Nice short scale length and a huge 48mm wide V neck (and I mean a V neck).
Cool guitar but make sure on the model number as previously mentioned some are all laminate.
Oliver

northfolk
May-26-2010, 8:14pm
Post a link, I'd like to see the case.

I guess I don't know how to do a link; at least I cannot seem to make it work?

Go to Ebay and do a search for Washburn R316 Parlor Guitar. That will show guitar and case in question? Thanks.

evanreilly
May-26-2010, 9:28pm
Oh yeah...
I like mine so much I swapped out the 'moderne' Mini-Grover-type tuners for a set of Waverly tuners. Haven't regretted it at all!

MikeEdgerton
May-26-2010, 9:35pm
I found the case, kind of a modern coffin case thing.

I've often thought about swapping my tuners for Waverly tuners.

northfolk
May-26-2010, 9:43pm
I think I am going to pull the trigger on one of these. Sounds like it is a decent guitar and should be fun to play. I will post pictures and first impressions once I recieve it. Thanks. :mandosmiley:~o)

dropthumbs
Jan-03-2015, 12:47pm
Actually, I have two of these. I bought the first one (a sww series, tembesi 1883 re-issue) five years ago and it has just gotten better. I used a Tone-right on it and improved both tone and volume. Only problem was, the bridge started lifting on the treble side. I sent it back to Washburn ($140!) and they sent it back at no charge. Bridge is now fine and shows no sign of problems, however, a similar model was offered as a door prize at a local festival and it had major bridge lifting problems, Allthough it was a new guitar, the shop that had it had gone out of business ( due to the death of the owner) and Washburn refused to honor the warranty. I bought an r 306 from ebay and it is beautiful. I put a teardrop pick guard on it ( I play with finger picks) put it on the Toneright and it has surpassed all my expectations. Got the action down by adjusting the neck and it plays with no buzz, no problem. I thought this was a solid wood guitar, but when I pulled the strap button from the end I noticed a striation in the side woods where it attaches to the end block. Guess it's a lamination. I will install a GHS interior mic in it this week and see how that sounds. I would not sell either one, regardless!
Dropthumbs

Shelagh Moore
Jun-08-2016, 3:34am
I've had one of the 125th anniversary models (no. 7 out of 250) from new and it has been an excellent guitar, particularly for the price. No problems over the 7 or 8 years I've had it and I find the wide, V-profile neck particularly comfortable. It is always a talking point because of the antiqued finish. Very nice for blues and ragtime.

pops1
Jun-08-2016, 8:56am
Bought one for my son several years ago used, all solid woods and a very nice guitar. Got a newer one in a trade that has a wider neck and laminated top, back, but has a very nice sound. Great for a fingerpicker.

Cosmic Graffiti
Jun-08-2016, 12:09pm
Hi, Yes! Best advice is from someone who owns one....or in my case 2!

I absolutely love them and they are NOT cheap guitars. I own two:

1. The Rosewood version. Super pretty good tone for a small guitar. All soliud rose wood....not made this way anymore. Thee can be had for $500.

2. The real 125th anniversary model that is a 250 count limited production. I own #225. I have a good music instrument budget and often stop a high end music stores and play this guitar along many different ones and seldom do I find a small body guitar that I like as much as this one. These sell for $800-$1200 if you can find one. I would not trade this guitar for anything. Finger picking to strumming its a great guitar.

allenhopkins
Jun-08-2016, 2:23pm
"125th anniversary" of what? Not of 1984, when U S Music Co. registered the "Washburn" trademark.

The present-day Asian-made Washburn instruments have nothing/nada/absolute nothingness to do with the Lyon & Healy Co.'s Chicago-made Washburn instruments from the late 19th and early 20th centuries. To claim that the new guitars, excellent though they may be, represent the "125th anniversary" of anything is advertising puffery.

I'm glad U S Music is importing some decent parlor guitars from Asia. Good for them. But trying to evoke a "century-old tradition," as so much of the modern advertising seems to do, is a fraud, in my book -- even if the new guitars are similar in design and materials to the old Washburns. That would just make them good knock-offs, right?

Cosmic Graffiti
Jun-08-2016, 3:10pm
I'm not sure, I do not register marketing in really any form. I just have liked every 125th anniversary that I have played. It could have no name and be painted neon yellow and I would still love it.

Shelagh Moore
Jun-09-2016, 2:36am
I understand the 125th anniversary model is a modern-day commemoration of a Washburn parlour guitar model from 1883. Yes.. perhaps it's "advertising puffery" and, yes, they are Indonesian-made and I knew these things when I bought it but, nevertheless, it's still a good guitar in its own right. Well, at least I'm happy with mine...

allenhopkins
Jun-09-2016, 8:52am
Doubtless they are very satisfactory guitars. I just find it irritating that outfits like U S Music, Gibson/Epiphone et. al. try to invoke a corporate history that has nothing to do with the instruments they're currently importing from Asia. At least when Gibson, Martin or Fender issues an "anniversary" model, they can claim a legitimate relationship with the instrument(s) they're commemorating.

The "new" Washburn is nothing but a US distributor picking up an unused trademark, formerly identified with the Lyon & Healy Co. of Chicago, and using it for a line of imported instruments. Nothing shady about it, but I do find U S Music's attempt to connect with the Washburns of the past -- check out their website! -- a bit disingenuous.

LillianBelle
Jun-11-2016, 3:36pm
Hmm, googling Washburn parlor 125th, I get a 306, 308, 314, 316 model (and variation of SWW and SWK labels), several of which have that "of 250" designation. So which model are we talking about here? I'd like a little parlor guitar for home use, my present one is the bullet-proof laminate little Martin LXM model, which I have no qualms about taking camping or sitting out on a beach with.

Br1ck
Jun-11-2016, 5:01pm
I highly recommend anyone wanting a parlor guitar to take a hard look at Pono guitars. Top quality in every way. I have an OP 30-D which is rosewood/engelman spruce, and it's 12 string sibling, the OP12 30. The little guitar is a country blues monster. Every bit the equal in fit and finish to my Martins.

If you must have the old time vibe, get the real thing at Vintage Parlor Guitars.

Jeff Mando
Jun-11-2016, 5:15pm
The real 125th anniversary model that is a 250 count limited production. I own #225. These sell for $800-$1200 if you can find one.

$1075-1200 buys an early 70's (made in the USA) Martin D-18 on a fairly regular basis on eBay..............I think I'd prefer the Martin for the same $$$.