PDA

View Full Version : Holst Asymmetrical 2 Point

swinginmandolins
May-24-2010, 7:18pm
The arrival date of my new Holst is getting closer so I thought I would start this thread with some in process pics for those who missed them in the in-process section. I started the process of getting this mandolin 3 years ago, but had some financial hurdles that came up, but was able to have Steve start it last year.

It has a Swiss spruce top, X-braced, one piece Red maple back, and sides. Cocobolo binding, and Cocobolo and ebony appointments. I will post more if I get them before I receive it. Enjoy!

swinginmandolins
May-24-2010, 7:19pm
One more pic.

MandoNicity
May-24-2010, 7:24pm
That looks so cool Terry! The back wood is gorgeous! <jealousing> ;)

JR

swinginmandolins
May-24-2010, 7:29pm
Thanks JR! It looks amazing for sure! I can't wait to hear her!! There is 5 years difference between the one I have and this one. I can't wait to see what Steve has learned...:) I just hope I can sleep.....

Chris Biorkman
May-24-2010, 7:40pm
Very cool. His stuff looks really nice, but i've never had the opportunity to play one.

When do you take delivery?

swinginmandolins
May-24-2010, 7:46pm
Very cool. His stuff looks really nice, but i've never had the opportunity to play one.

When do you take delivery?

He said the tuners come in on Weds, so hopefully Friday. It only takes a day UPS from him to me. Everything else is done except for a bit more wet sanding and buffing, and attaching the tuners tailpiece and pickguard. If you ever make it up my way your welcome to come by and give a Holst or two a try....:)

JEStanek
May-24-2010, 8:06pm
Man! He did a great job on those colors.... and everything else!

Jamie

swinginmandolins
May-24-2010, 8:15pm
Man! He did a great job on those colors.... and everything else!

Jamie

That is without the clear coats. He did a special treatment on the wood to make the grain stand out. Not sure if it's secret or not so I won't say what he did, but it sure made the grain pop. I can't wait to see what it looks like with those and buffed up. I'm anxious too to see what he did with the pickguard. He said he had an idea to tie it in with the fretboard and headstock inlays. Like I said I'm really excited to hear what it sounds like. I love my current mandolin and it sounds great, but hearing Ben's and knowing he built this one with me and my playing in mind....should be goooood...:)

MandoNicity
May-24-2010, 9:01pm
In looking through the pics it appears the frets are oversized. What fret gauge did you have Steve put on? Just curious.

JR

swinginmandolins
May-24-2010, 9:06pm
In looking through the pics it appears the frets are oversized. What fret gauge did you have Steve put on? Just curious.

JR

He uses medium fret wire. .080 I think. Not too big and not too small...:)

Dusepo
May-25-2010, 1:51am
I'm not usually a fan of asymmetrical ones, such as the bluegrass style ones, but this one I actually like!

Dfyngravity
May-25-2010, 11:17am
:grin:

swinginmandolins
May-25-2010, 11:55am
:)):mandosmiley:

swinginmandolins
May-25-2010, 11:57am
Ben Steve used some of the leftover Blackwood from yours for my tailpiece....can't wait to see that.

Dfyngravity
May-25-2010, 12:00pm
NICE! The African Blackwood he used on mine is awesome. Definitely can't wait to see that and the pickgaurd.

swinginmandolins
May-25-2010, 12:13pm
The click rate on my email and Steve's site is going to off the charts the next couple of days wait for bit of info and hoping for pics...:)

Dfyngravity
May-26-2010, 2:25pm
Get in your car and start driving! I can't take it any more....and it's not even my mandolin. If Steve's website had a click counter I bet you and I would have made it hit the 1,000 mark in the last few hours!

mando.player
May-26-2010, 2:51pm
In a video I've seen James Condino put on a little black dye/stain to start off with. Then he sands it off and proceeds with the rest of the finishing process. The grain soaks up a bit of the black and takes on a lot of definition.

That is without the clear coats. He did a special treatment on the wood to make the grain stand out. Not sure if it's secret or not so I won't say what he did, but it sure made the grain pop. I can't wait to see what it looks like with those and buffed up. I'm anxious too to see what he did with the pickguard. He said he had an idea to tie it in with the fretboard and headstock inlays. Like I said I'm really excited to hear what it sounds like. I love my current mandolin and it sounds great, but hearing Ben's and knowing he built this one with me and my playing in mind....should be goooood...:)

swinginmandolins
May-26-2010, 4:03pm
Get in your car and start driving! I can't take it any more....and it's not even my mandolin. If Steve's website had a click counter I bet you and I would have made it hit the 1,000 mark in the last few hours!

Believe me it has crossed my mind to drive down there....:) Yeah if he got paid for the clicks he would be rich.....him and gmail...:)

In a video I've seen James Condino put on a little black dye/stain to start off with. Then he sands it off and proceeds with the rest of the finishing process. The grain soaks up a bit of the black and takes on a lot of definition.

Steve used a different process for this one.

swinginmandolins
May-26-2010, 9:22pm
Shows how much I know. No secret he used Potassium Dichromate to bring out the grain. All I know is I love the way it looks!

Dfyngravity
May-27-2010, 11:53am
?????????? so whats the word?

swinginmandolins
May-27-2010, 12:30pm
?????????? so whats the word?

I let you know as soon as I hear..~o)

hank
May-27-2010, 1:05pm
T-& counting. Wooo hoooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!

swinginmandolins
May-27-2010, 1:09pm
T-& counting. Wooo hoooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!

If it doesn't ship today it will be until Weds next week......stupid long weekend....:) Not the holiday the fact that it will take longer.....make it stop checking email every 5 seconds.....:grin:

swinginmandolins
May-27-2010, 1:18pm
To be fair, it is just a possibility, not a promise....just knowing it's so close is exciting!!

swinginmandolins
May-27-2010, 6:52pm
Steve just sent these pics and it's done. Will have to be patient and wait until next week.

swinginmandolins
May-27-2010, 7:02pm
I would comment on it, but I'm speachless as to how good it looks and letting the pics do the talking...:)

hank
May-27-2010, 7:12pm
Holy Cow Terry what a beauty. Your gonna have to dress up when you play that one. Hubba Hubba!

swinginmandolins
May-27-2010, 7:32pm
Holy Cow Terry what a beauty. Your gonna have to dress up when you play that one. Hubba Hubba!

Thanks Hank!

MandoNicity
May-27-2010, 8:27pm
WowZer!!!!

Dfyngravity
May-28-2010, 6:26am
Oh good god man! That thing is hotter than a firecracker on the 4th of July. The pickguard and tailpiece turned out spectacular Terry.

EEWWWEEE that color is so nice. How you holding up Terry? I bet I'd have to pull my 100' tape out to measure your smilie right now.

Brad Weiss
May-28-2010, 6:58am
:disbelief::disbelief::disbelief::disbelief::disbe lief:

swinginmandolins
May-28-2010, 9:34am
Thanks guys! Steve did an awesome job for sure. The color is something else! Steve really brought all the design together into a complete package.

Ben....I have been looking and drooling at these pictures since I received them, changing between them as my background on my computer, I am happy and pleased to see it complete. A bit disappointed that I have to wait until next week and the fact it's a looooooong weekend, but I would rather wait then have him ship it today and have it stuck in a truck or warehouse. This way he can let it settle down and make adjustments if need be. Plus he can enjoy playing his creation for a few days....:) He says it is "very smoooooth sounding, with nice crystalline highs, slightly restrained lows." A nice new sound "you'll have to play the heck out of." No problem there....:) I'm really anxious to hear it! I'm hoping he gets some time to send me a recording.

LeonEvans
May-28-2010, 1:53pm
Hi Terry,

That really looks great. Steve does such wonderful work. Only a few more days and then you get to play a masterpiece.

Leon

crazymandolinist
May-28-2010, 1:58pm
That instrument would be at home in just about any art exhibit in the world. Stunning

Rob Fowler
May-28-2010, 2:15pm
What a spectacular and unique-looking mandolin! Can't wait to see and hear clips of it, Terry!

250sc
May-28-2010, 2:28pm
Too #@$%% cool. You're a lucky person.

swinginmandolins
May-28-2010, 2:53pm
Thanks guys!

Leon, you played a huge roll in me getting my first Holst, and I'm so thankful as I couldn't have found a better mandolin or a better person to work with than Steve. You know how much he goes above and beyond to take our ideas and make them even better than we dreamed of. I still get lost in the tone and loose concentration from listening to it, and I'm sure the new one will exceed my expectations as well. I love my current Holst but this one is above and beyond my expectations...I'm not sure I'm worthy of it...:)

Rob, For sure I will post sound clips and videos as soon as I can!!

Dfyngravity
May-28-2010, 3:59pm
Terry, I think Steve knew what he was doing......Keep Terry in the dark for a few weeks......3 day weekend coming up.....make Terry wait even more.....oh how my plan is coming full circle.

MandoNicity
May-28-2010, 4:05pm
Terry, I am fedExing you a drool cup so you don't short out your keyboard. ;)

JR

swinginmandolins
May-28-2010, 5:18pm
Terry, I think Steve knew what he was doing......Keep Terry in the dark for a few weeks......3 day weekend coming up.....make Terry wait even more.....oh how my plan is coming full circle.

As much as my wife thinks it's funny, I would say she called him and told him to hold on to it.....:)

Terry, I am fedExing you a drool cup so you don't short out your keyboard. ;)

JR

With the weekend it will be here around the same time as the mandolin...:mandosmiley: I just have to keep a sponge handy.;)

Dfyngravity
May-28-2010, 5:39pm
Oh wait, what's this on my front porch, a box about the size of a mandolin from Steve Holst! Sorry bout' your luck Terry!!! HAHA just kidding. :mandosmiley:

All I can tell you is to find something to do for a few days, like...ummm....how bout' a two or three day vacation driving around Oregon. That sounds like a good place to visit. I hear they got some great luthiers up there: Breedlove, Novak, Lestock, Schneider, Newell, Mowry, and oh yeah Holst. That'd be a good trip, lots of great mandolins...you might even come home with one. :grin:

swinginmandolins
May-28-2010, 5:57pm
Oh wait, what's this on my front porch, a box about the size of a mandolin from Steve Holst! Sorry bout' your luck Terry!!! HAHA just kidding. :mandosmiley:

All I can tell you is to find something to do for a few days, like...ummm....how bout' a two or three day vacation driving around Oregon. That sounds like a good place to visit. I hear they got some great luthiers up there: Breedlove, Novak, Lestock, Schneider, Newell, Mowry, and oh yeah Holst. That'd be a good trip, lots of great mandolins...you might even come home with one. :grin:

I mentioned a trip down there to my wife and she smiled and gave me the look like, "yeah right!" Plus it's the weekend I've waited this long what's a few more days? I have one of his right here to remind me what I'm waiting for.:mandosmiley:

I know Oregon well, lived there before my mandolin days, actually about 20 mins away from Steve in Eugene. Back when I worked at Sony Disc Manufacturing. If I would have know about him then I would have more than likely had him build me a bass.:cool:

The wife and I are going to take a trip the beginning of next year for our anniversary. I'm hoping to swing by Steve's place and meet him in person...:)

Chris Biorkman
May-28-2010, 6:08pm
Really, really nice. Enjoy it!

swinginmandolins
May-28-2010, 8:13pm
Thanks Chris! Weds will be a great day!!! UPS goes by my house all day.....my luck I will be the last stop before they head to the yard....:)

joshua collum
May-28-2010, 9:20pm
That's freakin' gorgeous!....................

MandoNicity
May-28-2010, 10:00pm
I could be wrong, but I Think the consensus is that people Seem to like this mandolin.... ;)

JR

swinginmandolins
May-28-2010, 10:07pm
That's freakin' gorgeous!....................
Thanks Joshua! Steve has skills!!

I could be wrong, but I Think the consensus is that people Seem to like this mandolin.... ;)

JR

I think you may be correct JR. I know I like it a wee bit...:) I know baby got back...:mandosmiley:

Dfyngravity
May-31-2010, 8:47pm
How many hours have you slept this weekend? :sleepy:

swinginmandolins
Jun-01-2010, 9:36am
How many hours have you slept this weekend? :sleepy:

I was sleeping pretty good until last night.....I have a feeling not much tonight...:) I kept my laptop near all weekend rotating the pics on the desktop. Knowing when it will be here is slightly easier than wondering....but not much.

hank
Jun-01-2010, 12:44pm
Tension & anticipation energy are available to you at this point in time. Who knows what you might be able to turn it into as creative energy on the eight strings you already command. I'm most creative when these two elements are present in my life in both positive and negative ways.

swinginmandolins
Jun-01-2010, 12:51pm
Tension & anticipation energy are available to you at this point in time. Who knows what you might be able to turn it into as creative energy on the eight strings you already command. I'm most creative when these two elements are present in my life in both positive and negative ways.

Very true! I was able to play an hour or two every day this weekend, which helped to pass the time. I've been working hard to break a slump in writing original pieces, and have been trying to pull from this energy to do so.

Dfyngravity
Jun-01-2010, 6:20pm
How you holding up? Anything we can do, do you need to talk about it?

swinginmandolins
Jun-01-2010, 7:32pm
How you holding up? Anything we can do, do you need to talk about it?

Thanks Ben. At this point I'm about at the peak of anxiety. I received an email today from him confirming my address, and the note sounded like he had a lot to get done today. So at this point I'm not sure it even shipped today. Hopefully it did, but it may be Thursday before I receive it??? I will let you know when I know. Needless to say practice today hasn't been all that great...my head is all over the place and I can't concentrate. It will be worth once I receive it...it's just getting there now....:)

swinginmandolins
Jun-01-2010, 8:47pm
I just received an email from Steve....he drove to town to the UPS store to get it out today!!! Just another proof of what a great guy he is!! So now the excitement is building even more. The question now is will I sleep some or not at all.

Chris Biorkman
Jun-01-2010, 9:04pm
So now the excitement is building even more. The question now is will I sleep some or not at all.

Probably depends on how much you drink tonight...

swinginmandolins
Jun-01-2010, 9:10pm
Probably depends on how much you drink tonight...

I gave up the hard stuff years ago and have no beer in the fridge....actually told myself the few I had this past weekend were the end of that for awhile, so that won't help....I guess I could take a Tylenol PM, but those will ruin me tomorrow.....I foresee lots more coffee than usual. Which will only make the excitement that much worse. Can't win.....oh wait yeah I can as soon as I can play it...:)

swinginmandolins
Jun-02-2010, 9:44am
The mandolin is at the hub 45mins away.....now will they deliver as they come into town right past my house or as they leave town to go back to the yard? The surprising thing is I slept fairly normal for me. It took a bit longer to fall asleep, but not much. This whole process has been good for developing some patience....:) Always been one of my weaknesses.

Dfyngravity
Jun-02-2010, 5:17pm
So how long have you been starting at the box? Or have you opened it?

swinginmandolins
Jun-02-2010, 5:26pm
So how long have you been starting at the box? Or have you opened it?

Still staring out the window waiting...:) At least I can sit here on the couch and play while I stare out the window. I've seen a truck go into town and out of town. My house is on the out of town side so I'm guessing it will be towards the end of the day.

Dfyngravity
Jun-02-2010, 5:44pm
Isn't that the way it always works?

swinginmandolins
Jun-02-2010, 5:47pm
Isn't that the way it always works?

Pretty much...:) At least I don't have to wait long to open it. Steve says our climates are so similar that it shouldn't be a problem just to let it sit on a stand for a couple of hours to climate. I haven't run the heat all day so it's about the same temp inside as outside.

Dfyngravity
Jun-02-2010, 5:52pm
Pretty much...:) At least I don't have to wait long to open it. Steve says our climates are so similar that it shouldn't be a problem just to let it sit on a stand for a couple of hours to climate. I haven't run the heat all day so it's about the same temp inside as outside.

So you have to watch it sitting there on the stand for a few hours w/o playing? Ewwww buddy, hope you have some anxiety medicine. I think I may just crack the lid on the case and let it sit so I wouldn't be able to see it.

swinginmandolins
Jun-02-2010, 5:56pm
So you have to watch it sitting there on the stand for a few hours w/o playing? Ewwww buddy, hope you have some anxiety medicine. I think I may just crack the lid on the case and let it sit so I wouldn't be able to see it.

I'll put it back in the music room...:) I really tried to wait when I received the one I have. I was able to restrain myself for about a 1/2 hour...

Dfyngravity
Jun-02-2010, 6:03pm
Hahaha, oh I know the feeling. I had to let it sit for an hour in the box, then an hour in the case. I actually left the house just to make sure I wouldn't play it.

Maybe you can take it out and then leave and go have a nice dinner somewhere to celebrate and the desert can be waiting on the stand when you get home. And then just play the strings dead on it.

swinginmandolins
Jun-02-2010, 6:09pm
Maybe you can take it out and then leave and go have a nice dinner somewhere to celebrate and the desert can be waiting on the stand when you get home. And then just play the strings dead on it.

I wish funds are low and pay day is Friday...

sgarrity
Jun-02-2010, 6:10pm
Yank that sucker outta the box and get to pickin'! Unless it's below freezing you have nothing to worry about.

swinginmandolins
Jun-02-2010, 6:15pm
Yank that sucker outta the box and get to pickin'! Unless it's below freezing you have nothing to worry about.

It has to get here first!! Just the other day UPS delivered a package at like 2:30...
Other than the rain , and this afternoon it hasn't even been raining, it's about the same inside and out around here, and it came from the same climate basically. Haven't run the heater in a week or more.

Dfyngravity
Jun-02-2010, 6:17pm
It has to get here first!! Just the other day UPS delivered a package at like 2:30...
Other than the rain , and this afternoon it hasn't even been raining, it's about the same inside and out around here, and it came from the same climate basically. Haven't run the heater in a week or more.

That must be nice. It's 90+ here and has been for a while. Heat index and humidity make it about 100 it seems.

swinginmandolins
Jun-02-2010, 6:19pm
It been in the 60's lately here.

swinginmandolins
Jun-02-2010, 10:14pm
It got here about 4:30 and besides stopping for dinner I've been admiring it and playing it. I lasted about 30 mins before I tuned it up and started playing. It sounds amazing. Different from what I had and a great complement to it. Sweet and mellow. Bright but not strident. Even across the strings. Bass nice and round. Steve nailed it! I will try to get a sound clip up at least before the weekend. It plays like silk and super responsive. Feels like it plays it's self. Action is super low, so low I'm going to bring it up a hair. All around super fantastic!

Chris Biorkman
Jun-02-2010, 10:31pm
Woohoo! Congrats.

Greenmando
Jun-02-2010, 11:05pm
Nice two point, hope it sounds as good as it looks.
As fun as it is waiting at the door like a child on their birthday. I found I have to stand guard as we have UPS and Fedx drivers who throw packages over our back wall. Destroyed 2 mandos and a set of high hats. The fedx driver jumped out of his truck and threw the high hats over like a Discus. He was bouncing around like he was on speed told me, "don't worry I just threw it over your wall".

MandoNicity
Jun-03-2010, 12:26am
It must feel like....Christmas... ;)

hank
Jun-03-2010, 12:39am
Congratulations Terry. I'm looking forward to a new video of you with your new baby playing the waiting song.

swinginmandolins
Jun-03-2010, 9:57am
Nice two point, hope it sounds as good as it looks.
As fun as it is waiting at the door like a child on their birthday. I found I have to stand guard as we have UPS and Fedx drivers who throw packages over our back wall. Destroyed 2 mandos and a set of high hats. The fedx driver jumped out of his truck and threw the high hats over like a Discus. He was bouncing around like he was on speed told me, "don't worry I just threw it over your wall".

It came signature required and for added measure I opened the door as soon as he pulled up...:)

It must feel like....Christmas... ;)

Like Christmas used to feel when I was young....then there's the crash after the excitement. I lost sleep last night in anticipation of being able to play her today...:)

Congratulations Terry. I'm looking forward to a new video of you with your new baby playing the waiting song.
Thanks Hank! I will try to do a video soon. I'm hoping to get a recording or two over the next couple of days. I'm anxious to see how she records.

swinginmandolins
Jun-03-2010, 10:09am
Steve sent me a picture disc so here are a few more pics.

swinginmandolins
Jun-03-2010, 6:29pm
Here is the first recording:

swinginmandolins
Jun-03-2010, 6:47pm
Here's another. Just to note there is no processing done to the recordings.

joshua collum
Jun-03-2010, 7:16pm
Nice playin'!! The mandolin looks and sounds amazing! Congratulations, It's really is a special mando..

swinginmandolins
Jun-03-2010, 7:19pm
Nice playin'!! The mandolin looks and sounds amazing! Congratulations, It's really is a special mando..

Thanks Joshua! It really is a special mandolin...Don't know if I'm worthy of two of Steve's mandolins, but am sure glad I have them...:)

JEStanek
Jun-03-2010, 8:51pm
Great voice there and nice work letting it shine. If you have them, you're worthy. Enjoy.

Jamie

swinginmandolins
Jun-03-2010, 9:39pm
Great voice there and nice work letting it shine. If you have them, you're worthy. Enjoy.

Jamie

Thanks Jamie! I'm extremely thankful for what I have...:)

billkilpatrick
Jun-04-2010, 3:43am
great sounding instrument - really rings, bright and clear.

Dfyngravity
Jun-04-2010, 6:32am
Nice pickin' there Terry. Well as I expected, the mandolin sounds fantastic. Nice clear and even tone all over the fretboard. I think the bass sounds a lot like mine mine when I first got mine, a little tight but lots of potential. After about 48-72 hours of string tension and really digging in to it, you will really notice a difference as everything will probably be settled in and awakened. The playability is as smooth as silk aint it? That one great thing I love about mine. Less tension and pressure with the left hand really allows you to draw that tone right out. And I bet the volume is amazing too, but it probably has fantastic dynamics. I think Steve, has really been striking the nails squarely with his mandolin, all his instruments for that fact.

PS- How amazing is that color, binding scheme, and wood selection in person!!? I love that picture of the back of it as it is sitting in the case. Looks just amazing Terry.

swinginmandolins
Jun-04-2010, 9:56am
great sounding instrument - really rings, bright and clear.
Thanks Bill! It has amazing dynamic.

Nice pickin' there Terry. Well as I expected, the mandolin sounds fantastic. Nice clear and even tone all over the fretboard. I think the bass sounds a lot like mine mine when I first got mine, a little tight but lots of potential. After about 48-72 hours of string tension and really digging in to it, you will really notice a difference as everything will probably be settled in and awakened. The playability is as smooth as silk aint it? That one great thing I love about mine. Less tension and pressure with the left hand really allows you to draw that tone right out. And I bet the volume is amazing too, but it probably has fantastic dynamics. I think Steve, has really been striking the nails squarely with his mandolin, all his instruments for that fact.

PS- How amazing is that color, binding scheme, and wood selection in person!!? I love that picture of the back of it as it is sitting in the case. Looks just amazing Terry.

Thanks Ben! Steve has a consistent sound for sure. I keep going back and forth between the 2 and they sound real close. I think the variations are the bracing and the spruce. The Red/tone bar has the more percussive pop a bit brighter overall slightly less bass, the sustain matches but seem to roll off quicker at the end. The Swiss/X is warmer, quicker to respond. The bass is more present. A bit more dynamic. The sustain seems to continue even after you can't hear it.
You are correct about the bass. It was quiet and tight when I first brought it up to tension and for the first few hours of play. A few hours into my practice yesterday I was playing and it was like my ears popped and all the sudden the G and D strings got louder. My wife got home from work and walked into the room and said "that mandolin is loud." as she smiled.
The action is amazing. Low and silky...:) My first one has amazing action too. I raised mine just a hair and it's still nice and low, but there are times when I can get heavy handed. I know that they work with ultra low as I've done it before....:)
Steve nailed everything we had talked about and added more than I could've hope for or thought of. I was thinking of asking him for a full contact bridge to try it out, but didn't...It came with one..:) Oh and I have to say too that the "lap" point is great on a two-point! Especially for someone like me who likes to play sitting without a strap.
The color is even better in person. The way the grain shimmers in the light. Especially the back. I'm loosing playing time for stopping to admire it, or to just sit there and listen to the sustain. The binding scheme is amazing in person. The "white line" is made from curly maple I think and you can see the grains. He even added that on the neck binding. Wood beats celluloid hands down.
I have 2 great mandolins and 2 great mandolin voices and am really pleased. I hope that I will be able to work with Steve again for sure!

swinginmandolins
Jun-04-2010, 9:59am
For those who are curious I'm currently using J-75's.

Brad Weiss
Jun-04-2010, 4:29pm
Always enjoy your playing, Terry- and the new Holst is something else. A two-point with a lap point; very ergonomic. What are the fretboard markers?

hank
Jun-04-2010, 10:44pm
Terry those last photos are pretty amazing. Some of these Cafe' hounds talk about their herd and occasionally thinning them but you have a couple of thoroughbred stallions in your stalls. If you could figure a way to play both of them at the same time you would be like Ben Hur riding that chariot behind two powerhouses with all the stops pulled. Ha! Hows that for a little fantasy? Are you worthy?
Without a doubt. You make Steve proud.

swinginmandolins
Jun-05-2010, 11:55am
Terry those last photos are pretty amazing. Some of these Cafe' hounds talk about their herd and occasionally thinning them but you have a couple of thoroughbred stallions in your stalls. If you could figure a way to play both of them at the same time you would be like Ben Hur riding that chariot behind two powerhouses with all the stops pulled. Ha! Hows that for a little fantasy? Are you worthy?
Without a doubt. You make Steve proud.

Thanks Hank! Brings to mind Michael Manring playing 2 or 3 basses or Stanley Jordan playing multiple guitars. I'm constantly going back and forth between the 2. I tried to just play the new one yesterday and ended up break out the other. Which ever one I'm playing the other is calling my name....then to hear them both screaming my name keeps me up at night...:) The great thing is they are both amazing but different so there isn't a redundancy. I don't know if these will ever leave my side.

swinginmandolins
Jun-05-2010, 12:01pm
I received an email yesterday from a future Holst client who requested to hear how the Asymmetrical sounded playing chops. I took it one step further and recorded my 2 point also. It was interesting to hear the differences and similarities. I was able to change mandolins without changing positions so nothing changed but the mandolins. So attached are the 2 clips. I'm not the greatest at chop chords but it gives an idea anyway.

Dfyngravity
Jun-05-2010, 4:43pm
Amazing how different they really are. That asymmetrical sounds great, the chop has a nice loud pop to it....great for a little grass or even some nice jazz rhythms.

MandoNicity
Jun-05-2010, 5:16pm
For those who are curious I'm currently using J-75's.

I'm curious as to why you chose these as I've come to think of you as a Jazzer, and the J-75's are usually favored by the hard core BG crowd. Are these the usual strings you favor? I would have pegged you for using Teds JM-11's. I have a few sets of the J-75's laying around, but find the J-74's my string of choice although I am definetly going to try Teds stings soonish.

JR

MandoNicity
Jun-05-2010, 5:22pm
I received an email yesterday from a future Holst client who requested to hear how the Asymmetrical sounded playing chops. I took it one step further and recorded my 2 point also. It was interesting to hear the differences and similarities. I was able to change mandolins without changing positions so nothing changed but the mandolins. So attached are the 2 clips. I'm not the greatest at chop chords but it gives an idea anyway.

Very interesting, the asymmetrical one has a tubbier more deep sound to my ear, which I find more pleasing. Neither of them seem to have that BG bark so many seem to seek. I am defiently impressed with the sound of your new mando. Now if only I had some cash stashed away.... ;)

JR

swinginmandolins
Jun-05-2010, 9:19pm
Amazing how different they really are. That asymmetrical sounds great, the chop has a nice loud pop to it....great for a little grass or even some nice jazz rhythms.
The asymmetrical is an amazing mandolin. It's settling in and the bass notes are starting to shimmer more. You would think that with the wider holes it would be less focused but that certainly isn't the case. It's a breeze to play as it responds to a lighter touch. It sounds full right out of the case. My 2 point takes about a half hour to start to really pop.

I'm curious as to why you chose these as I've come to think of you as a Jazzer, and the J-75's are usually favored by the hard core BG crowd. Are these the usual strings you favor? I would have pegged you for using Teds JM-11's. I have a few sets of the J-75's laying around, but find the J-74's my string of choice although I am definetly going to try Teds stings soonish.
JR

I used the JM-11's for awhile. I like the tone and playability, but I migrated back to J74's for the PB sound and then recently started using the J75's I was surprised that Mike Marshall and Don Stiernberg uses J75's and Chris Thile uses a similar gauges, so I decided to give them a try. I'm preferring them now as I feel I get a fuller tone with a nice low action. I tend to be heavy handed at times so the heavier strings don't buzz as much. They give me the tone my ear wants to hear.

Very interesting, the asymmetrical one has a tubbier more deep sound to my ear, which I find more pleasing. Neither of them seem to have that BG bark so many seem to seek. I am defiently impressed with the sound of your new mando. Now if only I had some cash stashed away.... ;)
JR
I think of it more as a darker tone than a tubby tone. It is more mellow as well. I enjoy the tone of it for sure. They both offer similar yet different tones which give me a nice selection to choose from.
The way these 2 are build they wouldn't be preferred by most bluegrassers as they have too much sustain. The great thing about Steve is you can discuss the tone you are going for and he will build towards that tone. The new one is exactly what I asked for.
I hope you can get one from Steve one day, you will be pleased for sure!

Dfyngravity
Jun-06-2010, 2:17pm
No up date on the gallery page, but an updated pic on the "In-Process" page of Steve's site!

swinginmandolins
Jun-06-2010, 2:52pm
No up date on the gallery page, but an updated pic on the "In-Process" page of Steve's site!

I saw that. It may not make the gallery....:)

swinginmandolins
Jun-07-2010, 5:00pm
Here is a recording I did today. Recorded with a Zoom H4N which I picked up this weekend. No processing.

swinginmandolins
Jun-07-2010, 6:07pm
One more with the H4N mics set at 120 they were set at 90 in the last one.

swinginmandolins
Oct-02-2010, 11:44am
I thought I would resurrect this thread to post the following short comparison video of my 2 Holsts. I'm enjoying both mandolins and even though I have some serious MAS, the only way I could get something else would be to sell one of my Holst. I just can't bring myself to! Not really a bad thing.

J7lQxEipCfg

Randi Gormley
Oct-02-2010, 4:34pm
Amazing power out of both of those. How do you choose which to play when? I'd go nuts.

MandoNicity
Oct-02-2010, 4:58pm
I already commented on your FB post of this Terry. They are both lovely instruments and you are one lucky guy to own them.
<jealousing> ;)

JR

swinginmandolins
Oct-02-2010, 4:59pm
Amazing power out of both of those. How do you choose which to play when? I'd go nuts.

I try to give them both the same amount of love...:) Each has their own strengths but both work equally well for the musics I play. Steve builds a versatile mandolin.

swinginmandolins
Oct-02-2010, 5:01pm
I already commented on your FB post of this Terry. They are both lovely instruments and you are one lucky guy to own them.
<jealousing> ;)

JR

If I ever do sell one I will give you first right of refusal....:)

MandoNicity
Oct-02-2010, 5:29pm
If I ever do sell one I will give you first right of refusal....:)

I will gladly pay you Tuesday for a hamburger today! ;)

JR