PDA

View Full Version : Loar Era Snakehead / New Tuners

joey O
May-23-2010, 7:50am
I have a great sounding Snakehead A-4 but the tuners are bad. Does anyone make a exact fit replacement? From what I can tell on many of the new tuners the posts will fit but the tuner base is much longer. Any help appreciated. Thank you, Joey O.

mandroid
May-23-2010, 9:53am
Sounds like you're in the Queue, also waiting for the replica tuner sets that Stew Mac has said they will have on offer, soon .

hopefully not like Godot, the waiting, I mean .. :disbelief:

You have, presumably , removed, cleaned and re-lubricated the original ones, already,
and still found them wanting ...

:whistling:

joey O
May-23-2010, 7:19pm
Mandroid, Thank you for the tip. I will let Stew/Mac know I'm interested too. All the best, Joe

Rob Gerety
May-24-2010, 7:12am
I'm told they should be available mid June. But it seems like this date has been pushed back numerous times. I sure hope they are a good as everyone is predicting. My tuners are "ok" but I do have to fiddle quite a bit with a couple that are stiffer than I would like.

Paul Hostetter
May-26-2010, 4:57pm
I have a great sounding Snakehead A-4 but the tuners are bad.

So many people say this, but in fact the tuners usually just need maintenance. See here (http://www.lutherie.net/tuner.maintenance.html).

If, after going through the procedure, the machines still don't work, get in the queue for the new Stew-Mac machines. (I'm almost tempted to say "If, after going through the procedure, the machines still don't work, send them to me and I'll send you a set of the new Stew-Mac machines." Those old ones are great machines and tend to last forever. Give them a chance, I think you'll be glad you did.)

Does anyone make a exact fit replacement? From what I can tell on many of the new tuners the posts will fit but the tuner base is much longer.

The difference in post spacing is infinitesimal, but enough to really make replacements bind and not work worth a darn. Fixing the spacing is not a big deal, though it tends to be beyond most DIYer's capabilities.

Here are some old ones and some of the new ones coming soon.

http://www.lutherie.net/stewmac.mandolin.gears.compared.1.jpg