PDA

View Full Version : Some Thoughts on Carlson F-5L

gkraushaar
May-21-2010, 8:26pm
I recently had a chance to inspect a Gibson F-5L made during the Carlson days at Bozeman, Montana. I must say that it is a very pretty mandolin with spectacular woods, especially back and sides. Although it is in near mint shape, the original frets were later replaced with guitar sized fretwire and the pickguard removed. Otherwise, it is very clean for a 20(?) year old mandolin.

This particular mandolin seemed it be a bit heavy. The top seemed a little thick and the tone bars quite substantial. The neck was also featured a bolt on neck, which probably adds to the weight.

The mandolin had a nice even tone but seemed somewhat unresponsive compared to my new Loar LM-600. It reminds me of some of the better Japanese mandolins of the 80s, tonewise. The F-5L also seems to have a substantially shallower neck angle, which probably doesn't help things.

The workmanship on the F-5L is indeed better than the Loar, especially around the scroll, but not $5,000 better.

An interesting footnote concerning this mandolin is that the previous owner had traded a vintage Rolls Royce auto for the mandolin. He then sold the mandolin to it present owner so that he could purchace a new flute for his wife.

Bernie Daniel
May-21-2010, 10:44pm
Hi,

Your report is interesting report to me(and coincidental) because I just looked at a 1990 Carlson signed F5-L a couple of days ago myself.

The one I saw was in Cincinnati music store -- it was clearly signed and dated by Steve Carlson do you recall the to read the date on the signatrue?

My impressions of the F-5L that I looked at was: a very good to excellent sounding mandolin.

I would say -- strictly from memory -- that it was better than any of the PacRim mandolins I have can remember playing (new Kentucky and several Eastman models). But then its a more or less invalid comparison because it was not a side by side assessment. I've never played on a Loar -- if I recall correctly.

I plan to bring my 2002 Robert's signed F-5 Fern in to the store on Saturday to test it head-to-head against the Carlson F5-L.

I agree with you impression about it feeling heavy -- or more heavy than my Fern which is a dovetail not bolt on.

gkraushaar
May-21-2010, 11:24pm
Perhaps the mando needs some playing and reawakening. The current owner owns three old oval holed A models which he prefers, and never really plays the F-5L. I do remember that he former owner got some great sounds out of it before he abandoned mando completely for fiddle.

Big Joe
May-22-2010, 7:26am
Strings...thier age, and setup can make a radical difference in the way any mandolin performs. While the F5L from that era may not be the very best Gibson has ever produced, it is still an excellent mandolin and can perform very very well. If the neck angle is too low, and the mandolins from that era can do that, it may need the neck reset to restore full tone and volume. Still, I have not seen any from the Bozeman plant that cannot be made pretty darn good mandolins.

That takes nothing from the LM600. I am certainly a fan of the "Loar" mandolins, and they do compete very well with mandolins costing several times more, but the F5L in good shape would not normally take a back seat. It may not surpass, but certainly should not take a back seat. I would guess this F5L just needs some TLC to restore it to its optimal potential.

jim_n_virginia
May-22-2010, 7:47am
I played a Carlson signed F-5L for 3 or 4 years. It was a great mandolin but then again I had it set up professionally for the way I play. I finally sold it to buy a newer Danny Roberts signed one that just sounded better to me and was more responsive. The old Gibson F-5L's were great mandolins but in my opinion after Charlie Derrington got in the picture the mandolins got better all the way up until now.

I read that the Gibson OAI plant may not even open back up at all that it was a total loss. But there were a LOT of good mandolins came out of that shop that hopefully will be around for a long time.

Also pretty much the going rate for private sales for a Carlson era F-5L is a little lower than a newer ones from what I have seen on the Cafe classified and eBay. The 90's F-5L are usually around $4Kish while newer (2000 on) is $5Kish.

f5loar
May-22-2010, 10:52am
pardon if I get confused but all this talk of comparing it to "a Loar" or "the Loar" I have to ask are you talking about a 1920's F5 signed Lloyd Loar or the newer pac rim "The Loar" models and which ones as even they are different. I guess when I see just the word "Loar" I know it to be made in Kalamazoo, MI in the early 20's.

gkraushaar
May-22-2010, 9:40pm
The mando I'm comparing it to is a "The Loar" from our friends at The Music Link. I did specify a LM-600 in my post.

I'm well satisfied with the LM-600 because it's a great sounding mandolin for the money and I only play mando about 20% during my shows. I don't need anything any better.

Mike Bunting
May-22-2010, 9:55pm
pardon if I get confused but all this talk of comparing it to "a Loar" or "the Loar" I have to ask are you talking about a 1920's F5 signed Lloyd Loar or the newer pac rim "The Loar" models and which ones as even they are different. I guess when I see just the word "Loar" I know it to be made in Kalamazoo, MI in the early 20's.

I have the same problem, though I guess that is the plan, to associate a pac-rim mando with an icon.

fatt-dad
May-22-2010, 10:15pm
I'm well satisfied with my '84 Carlson Flatiron A5-1. Never played "The Loar."

f-d

gkraushaar
May-23-2010, 9:37am
I owned an 80s Carlson made F-5 Artist back in the day as well. Best mandolin I ever owned, but too much mandolin for me at my then stage of development. After playing some with a former bandmade several weeks ago on my LM-600, he remarked, "Best mandolin you've had since that old Flatiron."

Chip Booth
May-23-2010, 3:25pm
I've never played Carlson era Gibson I like as much as the best Carlson era Flatirons I am familiar with. I've owned a couple of Carlson Flatirons and still have a killer early F5 that has a voice all it's own but that can hang up there with most anything.