PDA

View Full Version : new Mandolin

Mandolin-AL
Feb-12-2004, 4:45pm
hey guys
im looking for a wee bit of info on an Oscar Schmidt Electric Mandolin.... nobody I have talked to has heard of them here in Scotland.
Just wanted to know the good and bad points.
Thanks for in advance...............
Mandolin-AL

John Flynn
Feb-12-2004, 6:11pm
I have not played that exact model, but I have played several in that class of mandolins. Like many other brands in that price range, it will likely be mass produced in Korea or China and probably have laminated sides and back. They can be very serviceable instruments but your concern should be for the individual instrument you get, not the brand name and model. I recommend getting a full money-back guarantee and taking the instrument to a good mandolin luthier that you trust to look it over. The luthier may suggest say one of three things: 1) It has a fatal flaw that would be expensive to fix. If so, send it back. 2) It would benefit from up to $100 (US) worth of set up work and possibly some better tuners. That would proabably be a good investment. 3) It is perfect as is. Unlikely, but it could happen.

Then you will have a the best instrument you can get for the total money you spent.

Mandolin-AL
Feb-20-2004, 5:53pm
Thanks for the info Mando Johnny.
I'll let ya know how I get on with it when I get it ....

Anybody else with any input on Oscer Schmidt Mandolins or any other budget Modles? could be a good line to go down . The Mando I have just now is an Ozark semi which I think is a great wee thing to mess about with .........

Mandolin -AL

Mandolin-AL
Mar-06-2004, 5:40pm
sheesh am I the only one with a budget mandolin? hehehehe
If not lets hear about them
Mandolin-AL
http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

garyblanchard
Mar-08-2004, 2:51pm
I play a Johnson A-style that came in a two-fer deal on Musician's Friend. They were offering a mandolin and acoustic guitar for $99.00; I went in with someone who wanted a cheap guitar. I'm pretty happy with it. I also have a Santa Rosa A-style. It has nice tone but the nut is too high and it is hard to press down the strings, especially on the first fret. I'm about to buy a Johnson F-style as well. I'm a confirmed budget instrument player. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif