PDA

View Full Version : Skip Kelley A5 workhorse

Skip Kelley
May-19-2010, 4:44pm
This newly completed A5 is going to be my little workhorse. Red spruce top, curly maple back, sides and neck. Single ply tortise binding on top only. Tone bar braced. It already has that fat hollow log sound. Varnish finish. Thanks for looking!:)

hank
May-19-2010, 5:18pm
Hollow Log! Did you say hollow log? Ouuu We What more could anybody ever want in a mandolin? Seriously sweet Skip!

mzurer
May-19-2010, 5:42pm
That's a beauty - looks like some serious recurve on the front, or is that just the high gloss from the varnish playing tricks?

Charles E.
May-19-2010, 5:54pm
Skip, talk about hollow logs, that sunburst on that flame in the back is like looking into a campfire late at night! Beautiful.

j. condino
May-19-2010, 6:26pm
'Looks good Skip! Bring that thing on over here to the big city so we can take it out for a little test drive.

j.
www.condino.com

Skip Kelley
May-19-2010, 7:03pm
Thanks guys! mzurer, it does have an nice recurve but, the is a lot of shine on there!
Charles, the back does look like it's on fire, doesn't it?
James next time we come up to the big Metropolis of Asheville, I'd love to visit with you!

jaco
May-19-2010, 7:43pm
That's a beauty Skip. #12 is going on five years old. Opened up, woody, and LOUD.

pickloser
May-20-2010, 8:09am
What a beautiful mando, Skip!! I surely do like sound you build into 'em too. So, do you mean that you might actually keep this one for yourself?

I enjoyed your workshop at Hagen-Stone Park very much. I heard a lot of complimentary remarks about it at the campground that evening. I wanna play like you.

JEStanek
May-20-2010, 8:21am
Excellent looking, Skip.

Jamie

Steve Sorensen
May-20-2010, 8:43am
Really lovely. Bet it gives you a smile every time you grab the neck.
Steve

swinginmandolins
May-20-2010, 9:42am
Nice work Skip! Glad you are going to have one for yourself.

TDMpicker
May-20-2010, 9:52am
Nice looking mandolin! Good work.

Skip Kelley
May-21-2010, 11:12am
What a beautiful mando, Skip!! I surely do like sound you build into 'em too. So, do you mean that you might actually keep this one for yourself?

I enjoyed your workshop at Hagen-Stone Park very much. I heard a lot of complimentary remarks about it at the campground that evening. I wanna play like you.

Thanks Laura for the kind words! I really appreciate it alot! We had a good crowd for the workshop didn't we? I plan on keeping this one and selling the black top F5.

Thanks to all for the compliments!

Mark Walker
May-25-2010, 6:06pm
Skip,

Greetings from Cuenca, Ecuador! (We're here - my wife, son and I - for our daughter's wedding Friday evening!)

That mandolin looks gorgeous from way down here in South America! Someday I'll have to see in one in person in the States! (We'll be returning to Michigan after the Memorial Day holiday.)

Keep up the great work!

Skip Kelley
Jun-03-2010, 6:39am
Mark, thanks for the kind words!

kyken
Jun-03-2010, 6:49am
nice work Skip, beautiful back too. Is this a red spruce top?

amowry
Jun-03-2010, 9:43am
I like it, Skip!

Skip Kelley
Jun-03-2010, 10:21am
nice work Skip, beautiful back too. Is this a red spruce top?

Ken, It is indeed a red spruce top! Thanks for the kind words!

Andrew, thanks for the compliment!

jasona
Jun-04-2010, 9:17pm
Looks great Skip!