PDA

View Full Version : My New Resonator Mandolin by John Gray

northfolk
May-18-2010, 9:24pm
I just received my new John Gray Resonator Mandolin; after eight months of waiting, that is. I had this resomando built to my specifications; body style, woods, hardware, finish, binding, etc. John was absolutely great to work with. I used a National cone and biscuit bridge, mini Grover tuners, Recording King coverplate and tailpiece, maple, walnut and ebony woods, bone nut and tortoise binding. And boy does it sound great, and loud! I will try to post pictures as well; not the best pictures, as they were taken indoors with a flash. So here goes? :mandosmiley:~o)5856858569

ColdBeerGoCubs
May-18-2010, 9:33pm
That is sweet.

Tripp Johnson
May-18-2010, 9:44pm
Very nice looking.

Bertram Henze
May-19-2010, 7:28am
That's not a moon, it's a space station!

JeffD
May-19-2010, 8:50am
Beauteeefulll

Mandolin Mick
May-19-2010, 9:14am
I like that!

JEStanek
May-19-2010, 9:56am
Sweet. I bet it's fun to play.

Jamie

ColdBeerGoCubs
May-19-2010, 11:58am
I'd like to hear that thing for sure, if possible.

northfolk
May-21-2010, 11:18am
I'd like to hear that thing for sure, if possible.

I am not sure I am able to provide a sound clip; my computer does not have that capability nor do I have the knowledge to do so, sorry? If someone can tell me how, I can try? Thanks.

SincereCorgi
May-22-2010, 3:22am
That's a very cool, tidy-looking instrument, but I must ask: does it feel limiting to have it meet the body at the octave? That has to be one of the shorter mandolin necks I've seen.

northfolk
May-23-2010, 8:39pm
That's a very cool, tidy-looking instrument, but I must ask: does it feel limiting to have it meet the body at the octave? That has to be one of the shorter mandolin necks I've seen.

The actual 1930's Dobro mandolin, that mine is modeled after, is even shorter; the neck joins at the 10th fret. The newer National RM-1 reproduction also joins at the 11th fret, like mine. Most of your older Gibsons; A's, F2's and F4's have a shorter neck as well. I guess I rarely play that high up on the neck anyway; but that's just me? Thanks.