PDA

View Full Version : Mando backs for life!

Rob Grant
Sep-25-2004, 7:15pm
Attached photo (with almost completed f-4)is of a "treasure trove" I just obtained yesterday.

An old, local timber getter friend who died last March left me some of his prize flitches of local figured "maple" or what might more properly be called Flindersia (genus). Flindersia is sort of our Aussie equivalent of North American maple. It is an excellent, stable timber for instruments. The flitches in the photo are all wildly figured throughout. Looks like I have a life-time supply of nice book matched backs for mandolins and mandolas. These were all cut from the butt and flanges of an old forest giant many years ago.

ShaneJ
Sep-25-2004, 7:55pm
That ought to keep you busy for a while! Should yield some pretty instruments.

Michael Lewis
Sep-25-2004, 11:33pm
Oooooooohhhhh! Mmmmmmmmmmm! That stuff looks VERY interesting, I'm a bit envious. I'm sure you will make some outstanding instruments from that wood. What an opportunity for inspiration. Good on you.

peter.coombe
Sep-26-2004, 5:08pm
G'Day Rob. Mmm very nice, what a collection. I am envious.

sunburst
Sep-26-2004, 6:08pm
Drool.....

zeke
Sep-26-2004, 6:14pm
Rob, it's all ####. So, that being the case, you should just send it up to your dear mum's for firewood (I'll be sure and drop by and help stack it for her, don't you worry).

Rob Grant
Sep-26-2004, 9:10pm
The local timber cutters call it "maple silkwood." I believe the scientific name is Flindersia pimenteliana.
Zeke, Mum has got all the firewood she needs for those short Nevada winters and besides, the overseas postage would eat me profits!<G> Why don't you and the Moonlight Hoodoo lads book a few festivals down this way and I'll lay a custom cut, back set on you to take home (free grog and cups of tea too!)

Our local "gig" (Maria builds the website):
http://www.yungaburrafolkfestival.org/

Roberto

FarOutNorthQueensland,Oz

zeke
Sep-26-2004, 10:33pm
Just tell me when we're booked, big guy, we'll be there. Aren't you our agents down under?

I gotta say, bucko, that's one nice looking piece of wood, and that stack underneath doesn't look bad either. I'm burning with envy, especially since you didn't fall for my li'l trick (Maria clued you in, didn't she?). It's a seriously beautiful pile all around. Can't wait to see what you do with it all. When you stringing up that '4?

Rob Grant
Sep-27-2004, 1:04am
"When you stringing up that '4?"

Soon as I get my buns out of this comfy chair, away from this screen and back to the 'ol workshop.

Hey, the sun's just goin' down here... what are you doin' up so late at night (or early in the morn)?<g>

Yonkle
Nov-10-2007, 2:43am
that piece on the lower right is calling my name!

Skip Kelley
Nov-11-2007, 9:20am
You are indeed blessed!

PhilGE
Nov-11-2007, 12:25pm
Hah... I'm sitting here with my 3-year old. She saw the photo and said, "Fire, Papa, fire!"

I do believe you've got some good flame there, Rob!

Bill Snyder
Nov-11-2007, 12:43pm
This thread was started 3 years ago. I suspect that some of these pieces are now in some happy mandolin players' instruments. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif