View Full Version : #18 "La Huppe" finished

french guy
May-17-2010, 3:53am
Hello friends ,

After the #17 done last year for a cafe member
http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/showthread.php?53863-17-finished

, here is my new realisation .
I call it "La Huppe" , say the Hopooe bird , because of the scroll design

European spruce top and european maple for the rest of the instrument .
walnut binding , carbon fiber rod in the neck , enjoy .

french guy
May-17-2010, 4:00am
some more pics

Malcolm G.
May-17-2010, 5:24am
Man,

That is classy! A work of art.

Congrats!

Brad Weiss
May-17-2010, 5:44am
let's hear it for originality!

D C Blood
May-17-2010, 5:57am
Somewhat reminiscient of Duffey's "Duck"...

frankenstein
May-17-2010, 6:13am
Magnifique'

Steve L
May-17-2010, 8:31am
I'm not a bit point and scroll guy, but that mandolin is really imaginative and beautiful.

Skip Kelley
May-17-2010, 8:40am
Jean, Very nice! I love your work, brother!!

billhay4
May-17-2010, 9:23am
Cool!
Bill

JEStanek
May-17-2010, 9:27am
Well done, Jean!

Jamie

Phil Goodson
May-17-2010, 9:35am
Jean,

Love it!
You gotta bring one of those to this side of the pond!
(Union Grove Fiddler's Fest in 2 weeks you know.)

swinginmandolins
May-17-2010, 9:52am
That is a cool design and great looking mandolin! Hope to hear some soundclips.

Clement Barrera-Ng
May-17-2010, 11:52pm
Lovely instrument indeed. A very cool design and wonderful work

SternART
May-18-2010, 12:02am
Somewhat reminiscient of Duffey's "Duck"...

YES!!! A bit of Duffy's duck, a touch of Giacommel, and a dash of Moneleone...........nice cookin' French Guy!!!

Bruce Clausen
May-18-2010, 1:20am
Very beautiful instrument, Jean! Congratulations! Where will it go, now that you've finished it? Can you post a sound clip or video for us?

For those who want to know ALL about this mandolin, it has been the subject of a long thread on the France-bluegrass site, where Jean has documented every detail of the building process:

http://www.france-bluegrass.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1399&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

I especially like that "1997 Pommard" colour!

--Bruce

Tavy
May-18-2010, 3:35am
Lovely job Jean!

A nice original work of art there... John.

Tripp Johnson
May-18-2010, 5:53am
Sweet!

Philippe Bony
May-18-2010, 6:00am
YES!!! A bit of Duffy's duck, a touch of Giacommel, and a dash of Moneleone...........nice cookin' French Guy!!!

With a bit of D'Angelico ?

french guy
May-18-2010, 7:53am
Thanks everyone for your comments.
Philphool I know that Fiddler's grove will start soon and I will think a lot lot about the great moments I've spent over there , and the so nice people you are.

Bruce , no it's not an order , just this idea comes to me a year ago , and I decide to take the time to transform the idea to reality .

I've open a bottle of Burgundy red wine from my area ( in fact from one my cousin who make wine )
try to compare the color , take some pictures and I was so disappointed that the color is not the same that I decide to drink the glass of wine .
then I say , wow that wine is good , then I drink a second glass .
I think again the the mando color , and think the color was not so so so bad , then I drink an ano anot another wine glassed !!
then I think that goat cheese will be pretty good with some bread and a glass of wine
so i drink the mando , eat the the table , try to tune the bread and I don't remember what appened after that :))

billhay4
May-18-2010, 9:27am
What a hoot! and a lovely instrument.
Bill

french guy
May-18-2010, 3:10pm
here some sound files , be indulgent , I'm mostly guitar player ( and wood worker )
and (TV watcher):)
I've recorded with a Rode NT1 microphone coupled with an old mixing Sony table connected to my PC soundcard .

MandoNicity
May-18-2010, 3:32pm
Still life with mando, bread, wine, and cheese. I love it! Get someone to paint that! It's a lovely looking instrument. In the "spirit" of things: a votre sante!!! ;)

JR

Bruce Clausen
May-18-2010, 3:49pm
Agreed-- really nice photo ("Vin et Mando"). Plus an excellent sounding instrument on the clips.

BC

wildpikr
May-18-2010, 3:54pm
Interesting instrument, creative photography, good sense of humor, sounds good and I'm sure the wine is excellent...congratulations, Jean!

usqebach
May-18-2010, 4:32pm
Well, I feel stupid by merely saying "Wow! That's gorgeous! And it sounds great, too." But "Wow! That's gorgeous! And it sounds great, too!"

Bill Van Liere
May-18-2010, 5:09pm
That's a really nice sounding mandolin Jean, love the binding also.