PDA

View Full Version : The Doyle Lawson Interview

NewsFetcher
May-16-2010, 7:43pm
The Mandolin Cafe has posted news:
The Doyle Lawson Interview
http://www.mandolincafe.com/news/publish/mandolins_001212.shtml

The Mandolin Cafe's Forum members have the questions, and Doyle Lawson has the answers for another of our extended feature interviews with a true legend of bluegrass music.

NOTE: You may use your board membership to comment on news articles published by the Mandolin Cafe. Your comments will appear here and also will be appended to the end of the news article for public viewing. Standard board membership posting guidelines apply. The addition of images, videos, links and BB coding is turned OFF for this area so as not to compete with or interfere with the news item.

Nelson Peddycoart
May-17-2010, 7:04am
Thanks for the interview. The opportunity to hear from the "big dogs on our porch" is a special thing.

Mike Romkey
May-17-2010, 1:18pm
Very practical, down-to-earth, and informative. Thanks.

grassrootphilosopher
May-17-2010, 2:44pm
Thank you, Mr. Lawson
for your great interview. It sums up what a working musician ought to be like:
stellar work ethics
focus on musicianship
profesionalism (to the max)
taste
willingness to learn
etc.

Itīs allmost like "how to become a world class performer in just one lesson". (if you could follow the rules and only had talent and were willing to put up with the hardships [see the Jimmy Martin story]).

I highly appreciate your insightful responses. And if ever it may be possible to see you in Europe I will be more than pleased to attend. (I sat on the floor in front of the first row to gather your mandolin picking - apart from the overall musicianship - and mistook your mandolin for a Gil. Whatsoever, I thought it was sort of blonde/cream colored like the Gil A-5 style on the Tone Poems II CD). It sounded good. I enjoyed jamming with Barry Abernathy after the show.

I wish you the best.

Spgmando
May-17-2010, 4:54pm
Mr. Lawson:

Your insights on character, music and life made for a great read. I appreciate the contribution you have made and are making to the bluegrass industry.

I really enjoyed the Jimmy Martin story. If only video cameras and camera phones had been around in 1963!

Denny Gies
May-17-2010, 5:10pm
Another great job by the staff and members of the Cafe. I have loved Doyle and his bands for years. Thanks.

re simmers
May-17-2010, 7:32pm
Another great interview.

Bob

doc holiday
May-17-2010, 8:28pm
Great job on the Doyle Lawson interview. What a great and often under-appreciated mandolin player
Thank You!

mzurer
May-18-2010, 12:28pm
Can anyone elaborate on the "note shape" discussion? I'm afraid that was the one part of the interview where I couldn't make hide nor hair of the answer.

Spgmando
May-18-2010, 4:21pm
Shaped note singing is sometimes called Sacred Harp or Fa-so-la singing. Most popular among church groups, the singing is acapella, not rehearsed, and uses note heads in four "shapes" to aid in sight-reading. It's one of the most powerful and moving things I've ever heard.

A pretty good explanation website: http://fasola.org/

doc holiday
May-18-2010, 4:22pm
If you google "shape note singing" or "sacred harp singing" you'll get some descriptions of a system of notation for singing that dates back to the 1700s. There's more there than I can describe clearly in a few sentences..

Spgmando
May-18-2010, 4:37pm
Meant to include this link showing a great example of shaped note singing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BbNh7aPzcMw

mzurer
May-18-2010, 4:44pm
Thanks for the links! I really had assumed it was some kind of tonal description of each note. I think I had "Sacred Harp" knocking around somewhere in my brain, but I've never seen the shape note notation before. Powerful stuff and "real" folk music to be sure.

Mandolin Cafe
May-16-2020, 8:37am
This interview is celebrating 10 years online today.