PDA

View Full Version : Modifying instruments to serve as tenor guitars- question

Wildflower
May-15-2010, 8:24am
I have a vintage tenor guitar (tuned GDAE) that I purchased from an online site. I really like tenor guitars but was curious to hear about ways other instruments can be modified to serve as tenor guitars and would like to hear some ways and examples (might give me some ideas).
Thanks

big smiley guy
May-15-2010, 8:58am
I have converted a Baby Taylor into a tenor.

Wildflower
May-15-2010, 9:43am
I have converted a Baby Taylor into a tenor.

Besides removing the two bass strings, did you do anything else to it?

big smiley guy
May-15-2010, 10:26am
Besides removing the two bass strings, did you do anything else to it?

I narrowed the neck and because it was originally a lefty guitar I plugged and reslotted the bridge and plugged the outside holes. I also plugged the two middle tuner holes in the headstock. I took some pics in progress and if I can find them I'll try to post them.

Patrick Hull
May-18-2010, 2:30pm
I have a "Little Martin" which I have temporarily strung as a tenor, and it seems to work fine. I just took off the bass E string.... tuned the A down to G..... next string is D, so I left it. Tuned the next G string up to A. Threw away the cursed B string (yay!) and moved the high E over to where the B was. I thought I'd just try that out, but it seems to be working fine. I'd be interested to know if anyone else has done the same thing, and their experience. (hard to believe I'm the only one to ever think of that)

martinedwards
May-19-2010, 6:24am
I was given a dead mandobanjo.

I had to reglue the hoop amd I made a whole new neck for it.

as a tenor banjo now it has 4 srings and is tuned an octave higher than my son's cello, so he's claimed it and is playing it LOADS!!

I also have a classical guitar that is pretty much toast, but the back & sides are drop dead GORGEOUS

I'm planning to retop it with X bracing and make a narrower tenor neck.