PDA

View Full Version : Nolan Faulkner

mandolirius
May-13-2010, 11:12pm
A while back I posted a thread about Nolan Faulkner. An obscure but great bluegrass mandolinist that anyone who likes bluegrass mandolin should check out.

Some who knows him very kindly provided me, by private message, with his address. I was intending to write him a fan letter, just to tell him how much his music has meant to me, but I accidentally deleted the message. I can't remember who it was but you know who you are (hopefully). I'd still like to write the letter. If you happen to read this, I'd dearly appreciate you re-sending me the address.

AlanN
May-14-2010, 6:29am
Yep, one of the un-sung (un-picked?) guys out there in mando land. Didn't he do a record with the Lost & Found years ago?

Mike Bunting
May-14-2010, 2:48pm
Nolan Faulkner
Legendary Kentucky mandolin Old Homestead OHS 90064 1976 197701 US
Nolan Faulkner & James Miller
Nolan Faulkner & James Miller Old Homestead OHS 80041 1981 US
That's all I know.

mandolirius
May-14-2010, 3:28pm
Mike, that's all I know about too. I wish there was more stuff available.

Alan, you're right. One of the greatest "unknown" bluegrass mandolinists I've ever heard. Played a wonderful-sounding Gibson three-point.

aaronrose222
Sep-26-2011, 9:53pm
Im Nolan Faulkners Grandson Aaron Rose. If anyone wants any material from him, I can let him know. I also own the Big Black F-Style Gibson mandolin from the album cover he gave to me. feel free to contact me at arose59@gmail.com

houseworker
Jun-07-2013, 8:41am
As well as the two LPs, there are two cassettes, both with James Miller. From the Heart of Bluegrass (Old Homestead CHS 80099) and Land of the Thoroughbred (Niptune Recordings NPB 014) 1990.

Martian
Jun-07-2013, 9:14am
I have known Nolan for prolly 35 years, very unique man, and player. I called him about a year ago, cause I seen his name here, he had no idea people were researching him, and was very touched by the fact. He is currently in a band , and can be reached by,,, cassvalleyramblers@gmail.com If you contact him, please tell him Mike Marrs gave you this ino

twilson
Jun-07-2013, 9:55am
Yup, Nolan Faulkner is a legend in the Detroit area. He showed me how to chop on the mandolin back probably in 1970 or so. He used to play in a bluegrass band, forget their name, with Pete Wolf, Ron Kaye, and Doug Green (yes, Ranger Doug) back in that period. If I am not mistaken, he also played with the Sunnysiders in Detroit.

Detroit had a great bluegrass scene back then, probably still do. Of course, a lot of folks came up from the south for a good job, and they brought their music with them. Wendy Smith (he wrote Caroline the Teenage Queen, Shotgun Slade, etc.) still lives there. Jimmy Martin and the Osborne Bros briefly lived up there in the 50s. Frank Buchanan, who played with Bill, lived there for a time. Pete Goble lived in the area, he wrote many great bluegrass songs.

You can find a pic of Nolan here: https://secure.flickr.com/photos/swamper/sets/72157602274698894/ . Fourth row from the bottom, on the left.

Cheers, and best to Nolan.

Tim Wilson

Mandomax
Jun-07-2013, 9:59am
Tim, those are some awesome photos! thanks for the link. makes we want to go find a jam

twilson
Jun-07-2013, 10:05am
mandomax, here's some more: https://secure.flickr.com/photos/swamper/sets/72157625028860559/

t