PDA

View Full Version : Choosing an Instructor in NE Ohio

Ed Goist
May-13-2010, 10:15am
I'm a self-taught (poorly) guitarist who started playing mandolin 7 weeks ago. Since getting my mandolin, I have found it hard to put down, and have played it to the exclusion of my guitars.

I've decided to get some professional level instruction on mandolin, and, thanks to old postings on the Café, I have found the names of a couple of recommended instructors in my region (within 1.5 hours). They are:

* Jon Mosey (at Woodsy’s in Kent, OH) – about 50 minutes away, &
* Charley Rappaport (at Acoustic Music Works, in Pittsburgh) – about 90 minutes away

I'd love to hear any POSITIVE comments about either or both of these instructors.

(Please DO NOT post negative feedback in the thread. If you want to provide negative feedback, please do so via a private message to me. I do not think it fair or appropriate to post negative comments about an instructor on the forum).

Thanks much;
Ed

jim simpson
May-13-2010, 10:36pm
Ed,
Where in Ohio are you? I live in Wheeling, WV.
Jim

Ed Goist
May-14-2010, 8:05am
Ed,
Where in Ohio are you? I live in Wheeling, WV.
Jim

Hi Jim; Youngstown.
-Ed

jim simpson
May-14-2010, 10:32am
Ed,
I guess you're about 90-100 miles from here. I was hoping you were closer. I wonder if you might check with some local music stores as to local instructors.
Jim

Chunky But Funky
May-14-2010, 11:01am
Well, I know Charlie from the Pittsburgh Mandolin Orchestra. I have sat in with them for a few concerts over the last couple of years due to family / scheduling issues. I also frequent Acoustic Music Works, much to my wife's dismay. Charlie is a great guy and would be a great choice as an instructor. Although he teaches south of you, he lives north of you. Contact him. Maybe the two of you could meet in the middle as he passes through. I definitely don't want to speak for him, but it seems like it might be within the realm of possibility at least. Of course, a weekly trip to Acoustic Music Works is always fun too!

Doug

modgar
May-16-2010, 7:47am
Ed,
Gitterpicker in Twinsburg, on Rte. 91 off 480 has mandolin lessons, that might be a little closer than Kent for you. I can't speak for mandolin lessons there, I took guitar lessons. If you're a Beatles fan you might consider taking guitar lessons with Vince.
http://www.gitterpicker.com/
Gary

Ed Goist
May-17-2010, 8:41am
Ed,
Gitterpicker in Twinsburg, on Rte. 91 off 480 has mandolin lessons, that might be a little closer than Kent for you. I can't speak for mandolin lessons there, I took guitar lessons. If you're a Beatles fan you might consider taking guitar lessons with Vince.
http://www.gitterpicker.com/
Gary

Hi Gary:
Thanks very much for the information. My drive-times to Woodsy's & to Gitterpickers would be just about the same (just under one hour...a do-able weekly drive [when equipped with the right traveling music!]). How would you rate your learning experience taking guitar lessons at Gitterpickers?
Thanks again;
Ed

modgar
May-17-2010, 6:15pm
Ed,
I don't any other teachers other than Vince. It was a pleasure to take lessons from him. Like I said previous he knows his Beatles stuff, he had the part of George in a Beatles tribute band. He's also an accomplished jazz fingerstyle player. I took acoustic lessons from him, which he was really helpful with, but his main background is electric guitar. He also played in a rockabilly band. I found the catalog of songs he knew impressive. If you have a song you want to learn he'll tab it out. I was also amazed by his ears. My apologies if I've gone on too long.

The way Gitterpicker worked when I was taking lessons was that you paid by the month. If a teacher other than the one you were taking lessons had a opening you could get a session with him/her. They can explain all the details for you.

Ed if you want to discuss it further with me drop me a PM.

DannyB
May-18-2010, 1:31pm
Isn't Mitch Tabol in Cleveland somewhere? I don't know if he teaches but who knows...