PDA

View Full Version : The Tenortone?

Ptarmi
May-13-2010, 4:27am
Just came across these two YouTubes featuring the Tenortone Tenor Guitar.

Jeff Davis - TenorTone Tenor Guitar - Doc Claw (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZKnJ0ndXvqk)

&

Sally in the Garden - TenorTone Tenor Guitar - Doc Claw (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9PJjEqJFj9M)

Have you come across these Guitars in Session situations?

Given that they have a very small body, are they very, very quiet when heard alongside other instruments?

Cheers
Dick

JeffD
May-13-2010, 9:22am
Have you come across these Guitars in Session situations?

Given that they have a very small body, are they very, very quiet when heard alongside other instruments?

Yes absolutely. And no I did not think they were all that quiet. They held their own.

I have played one and they are a lot of fun.

Jill McAuley
May-13-2010, 10:40am
I got to meet Jody, co-founder of Fletcher Instruments, last year and was lucky enough to be able to play two examples of the Tenortone - her own personal all mahogany one (which was awesome!) and one with a spruce top (like the one Angelina Carberry plays). Both examples had great volume, the spruce one was a bit more bright and "snappy" sounding whereas the mahogany one had a mellower, warm sweet tone to my ears. I do know that Jody plays hers in Old Time sessions all the time - here's a clip:

mj2Bgr0NpTs

I'm desperate to get one for my own, and hoping to do so before the end of the year!

Cheers,
Jill

JeffD
May-13-2010, 3:44pm
What a jam. Jody on her tenortone, and the Canote brothers there, with Greg is playing his calico fiddle, and the tune is "right". Wow. Playing that tune almost enough, playing it until it is the only tune in the universe, the only tune ever, entirely unconfused by any other tunes, any other music. Time stopped. The endless moment. A place in time and space where heaven comes down and touches the earth.

I have played that video three times now.

Moments like this, almost like fishing the pocket water of Fir Brook, that special stretch, and catching a brookie with a fly you tied yourself, like having a friend who brews his own rootbeer, and tasting it and realizing that being a brewer of good rootbeer ain't a bad calling, ...

I don't want to live longer, I want to be more alive.

catmandu2
May-13-2010, 4:54pm
Just came across these two YouTubes featuring the Tenortone Tenor Guitar.

Cheers, Dick.

Given the small body and light gauge strings of tenors, I wouldn't expect that they would be very much different than other flat-top guitars their size. I've heard some 00-size Martin 6-strings that had good volume and projection--considering their size--but I've yet to hear a parlor-size guitar that didn't "sound like" a parlor guitar..