PDA

View Full Version : Austin Clark/Sim Daley bluegrass mandos...opinions?

chubakkah
May-12-2010, 9:22pm
I've narrowed my search down to these two builders for a great bluegrass F-5. I did a search and have read quite a bit about these two builders, but could any other bluegrass players out there comment on either their Clark or Daley F-5? Off forum is fine.

Thank you very much for your opinions.

Chris

Grandude
May-13-2010, 3:52pm
Chris, I don't know anything about Austin Clark or his mandolins, so I'll leave comments about his mandos to others. I did have Sim build an F-5 for me, #59. It's the blacktop with tortoise/white/black binding shown on his website as the cover shot for Photos/Classic F-5 style (there are 10 more pictures of it inside that link). I can tell you that I can't imagine any luthier being more user friendly than Sim. He started with, "what are you looking for, what do you want it to sound like..." type questions, and during the build I had a say so about every feature. He nailed it for me. I feel his greatest strength is in giving the cutomer what he or she wants, particularly in creating the sound desired. When I played mine before finishes (in the white), he had another mandolin in the white that I played that sounded sweeter, perhaps more balanced than mine and I asked him why. He responded, "because that's what that customer asked for". I seldom play into a mic, so I needed something loud with a lot of mid-range to cut through the parking lot/campfire mix found at festivals. He exceeded my expectations, in large part by wood selection and placement of the tone bars. Touring pros and Grammy winners have made comments about mine such as "that's a real hoss, they don't make 'em any better than that, I want first right of refusal if you ever sell this thing..." I found him because I played Daley #30 at a friends house who's son-in-law was visiting over the Christmas holidays, and when I first tried his, I felt it was the sound I had been looking for. I called Sim the next day, and when it became clear that he knows what he's doing I placed my order. While you can't please everyone all the time, I have only read and heard good things about Daleys.

Best of luck,

Randy

mando.player
May-13-2010, 4:12pm
I've got nothing but good things to say about Austin. I entered the "Clark Club" through the backdoor, I bought used on the Cafe, so I can't comment on the build/order process. I can say that Austin is pleasure to deal with from a consumer's point of view. He did some work on the 2-point I have and treated me like the original owner. I can't imagine a situation where Austin wouldn't satisfy his customers. If you have any specific questions, let me know.

Glassweb
May-13-2010, 4:25pm
I played a killer Clark F5 at Wintergrass a couple of months back... a monstrously good mandolin!

Rick Crenshaw
May-14-2010, 9:45pm
I own two Daleys. My red spruce topped Classic is a killer sounding Loar/Gibson-toned style mandolin. The sitka topped one is too, but the red spruce has the vintage sounding overtones. Is the Clark a similar tone? I've never heard one up close. What drew you to these to makes? I'm very satisfied with my Daleys. Don't have experience with the Clarks. 'nuff said.

Dusty
May-14-2010, 10:50pm
I can't comment on the Clark but will recommend Sim for a build. I got the tone I wanted. Sim did some adjustments on the tone after I played it in the white. Also, I asked for a neck that would mimic my Gibson 03 MM so there would not be a big difference in changing between mandolins. It took about 14 months on the build but I really have not had MAS since. It is a very strong mandolin and sounds best, to me, with ESP's.

Scotti Adams
May-17-2010, 7:28am
The only thing I would like to say is Ive played many a mando from many a builder including the two mentioned in this thread. For what I like to hear and experience in a mando I get each and every day out of my Clark F5. It can drive or it can be played sweetly. However you want to play it the tone is there. The fit and finish is top notch A1. You owe it to yourself to try and get these mandos in your hands. Good Luck!

pickloser
May-17-2010, 8:03am
I got to play Austin Koerner's Clark 2-point at "Pickin' in the Park" on Saturday. That was an outstanding mandolin for any genre. It had a terrific, round, full sound from the listener's side, and it sounded great from the player's side too. It was a beautiful mando. Philphool thought it rivaled my Phoenix Ultra in playability. It was pretty close. :disbelief: Austin is a hot picker, and he could make that Clark sing.

trevor
May-17-2010, 8:06am
Unfortunately I've never heard a Slim Daley mandolin but I can vouch for Austin Clark. I have had seven from Austin so far, all outstanding.

Rick Crenshaw
May-17-2010, 5:51pm
Trevor, it is Sim, not Slim, Daley and he's from your side of the big pond. You're unlikely to find one of his mandos on that side of the Atlantic, but I know for a fact that there is at least one (with a Celtic Cross inlay.) Check out your fellow countryman's website.
http://www.simdaley.com/
Here's some history on Sim. http://www.simdaley.com/SimStory.html

trevor
May-18-2010, 6:16am
Rick,
Thanks, and my apologies for the typo. I am aware of Sim's mandolins and his reputation, just haven't had the opportunity to play one yet.

DannyB
May-18-2010, 1:36pm
I have never heard a Clark but I have a Daley and if I ever get half a chance I'll have me one! I can't bear to part with my F5L, it's a Hoss!, so I have to wait til I can own both.

Scotti Adams
May-19-2010, 7:53am
Danny...if your ever down my way give me a holler and you can take #47 for a ride.

DannyB
May-21-2010, 9:25am
Thanks Scotti, I may have to take you up on that...

mando.player
May-24-2010, 7:56pm
Just noticed there is a Clark f5 in the classifieds. NFI...but it looks like a good price.