PDA

View Full Version : Silverangel F style

kyken
May-11-2010, 4:12pm
this is one I just finished today and had a great time doing it. The sound is incredible....:redface:

kyken
May-11-2010, 4:15pm
More pix................

Skip Kelley
May-11-2010, 4:25pm
Ken, Look's awesome! I love your work!!

kyken
May-11-2010, 4:26pm
last ones........

kyken
May-11-2010, 4:32pm
thanks Skip, I had alot of fun doing this. I love the distressing process, I get completely lost in it, and time just seems to stand still, and at the same time, the hours fly by.

John Gass
May-11-2010, 4:34pm
I am absolutely in love with this one! The distressing is incredible.

Chuck Naill
May-11-2010, 10:09pm
Ken, you are a true artist. Thank you for posting those photos.

wildpikr
May-12-2010, 1:40pm
And that painting on the back adds to the elegance.

Skip Kelley
May-12-2010, 3:04pm
Ken, I had to give this one a look again! I really love how this mandolin looks. The distressing is so authenic! I like how the grain shows so well on the top and the color is perfect. Nice painting as well!!

Andrew Roberts
May-12-2010, 3:30pm
Ken,
That mandolin looks awesome! The distressed look has never really been my cup of tea, but I love how the back of the scroll looks, as well as the grain on the top as Skip pointed out. I'm sure it sounds awesome. My econo is such a joy to play, and with any luck she'll look as rugged as this mandolin in about 20 years!

Mark Walker
May-13-2010, 11:23am
Ken - you've got that distressing down to a science - which is pretty good for an 'art!'

I know all your paintings of angels are unique and different, but haven't you painted a similar angel like that on some other mandolins? (I know the painting on the back of mine and that on the back of A-style #33 [Jackie Walters'] are similar - but uniquely different.)

Regardless, not only are your mandolins and any extras (relief carving; paintings, distressing) works of art, but they're consistently among the best-sounding mandolins around.

kyken
May-13-2010, 1:37pm
Thanks Mark and all of the others too, I appreciate all your good comments. Right, I've done this painting several times, and it was by request from the customer that I do it here. I really like the sound of this mandolin and the distressed one before it. They sound as old as they look.

erich5455
May-14-2010, 4:00pm
I am the proud owner of this new mandolin! :) I should receive this Monday!

Ken, THANK YOU so very much for all the passion and soul you put into creating this beautiful mandolin. The angel is in tribute to my deceased wife, Melinda, which is the name I have chosen for this Silverangel.

Will give everyone a few "chops and some choice adjectives" once I have get it in my hands! :grin:

D C Blood
May-14-2010, 9:13pm
Congratulations Erich, And please join the Silverangel Social Group. And also take a look at the Silverangel Myspace site (see my signature block)...Also, with your permission (and Ken's) I would like to post that photo of the painting on the back on the Myspace site.

erich5455
May-16-2010, 11:06am
Please feel free to post the photo of the Angel on the Myspace site! This is like waiting for Christmas to arrive when you are a little kid....to get the Silverangel tomorrow!

All the best,

Eric Horne

erich5455
May-17-2010, 2:18pm
Well, I got this beauty today and man is it sweet! The distressing truly is remarkable...it absolutely looks like it was made in the 20's and played HARD! The workmanship is pretty awesome, and will have to wait until I get home tonight to tune it up and give it a once over!

Thanks again to Ken for building me a really sweet ax!

Cheryl Watson
May-17-2010, 6:08pm
Wow! I agree, distressing becomes art here. Very nice!

MandoNicity
May-17-2010, 6:39pm
I am not usually a fan of distressing, but I have to say that this mando and the one prior to it that Ken posted pics of are amazing looking! Congrats to the new owner!

JR

Mark Walker
May-18-2010, 12:52pm
Well, I got this beauty today and man is it sweet! The distressing truly is remarkable...it absolutely looks like it was made in the 20's and played HARD! The workmanship is pretty awesome, and will have to wait until I get home tonight to tune it up and give it a once over!

Thanks again to Ken for building me a really sweet ax!

Erich - congrats on that beautiful Angel!
While we didn't commission Ken to paint an angel on it, he created a beautiful 2-pointer (#197) in memory of my cousin's late wife - and it's named Cynthia Jane. It's got a flying angel on the headstock however, and their youngest son plays it quite often now. At some point, I'm going to have to submit the story of that mandolin - it's pretty ethereal!

Anyway, you're gonna love that mandolin! Enjoy! :)

ColdBeerGoCubs
May-19-2010, 12:02pm
I'd like to hear that story, sounds like its an interesting one for sure.

Mark Walker
May-25-2010, 6:09pm
I'd like to hear that story, sounds like its an interesting one for sure.

I actually briefly chatted about doing so (well, presenting the story line) to Bill Graham a while back. I'll get it out there one of these days....busy down here in Cuenca, Ecuador this week for our daughter's wedding! We'll be back in Michigan after the Memorial Day holiday!